• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mj soa question

From what i've seen the MJ springs are narrower than the XJ's. The springs on the MJ are under the frame and the XJ springs are mounted to the side.

a chryco 8.25 from an xj will fit under there with little to know modification. plus it's spring over so you should get at least 4-5" of lift

SPOBI!

The XJ will not bolt under a MJ and be safe. The MJ spring perches are about and inch inboard further than the XJ perches.

You need to cut the XJ perches off and weld on new perches in the proper location. You also need to get ne shock mounts. The XJ mounts are at the wrong angle.

The best perches I have found for the MJ SOA are Mopar Parts from the dealer. They are pretty cheap too.

Ruffstuff also makes a pretty good swap kit for any axle you want put in there. This is the kit I used on my MJ's D44 spring over.

And when you do the swap, don't try to calculate or estimate the pinion angle. It doesn't work, trust me. ;)

You'll need to place the axle under the truck and get everything into position, then tack weld the perches in place. Then take the axle out and finish welding.

Some goes for the shock mounts. Figure out where you want them while the axle is in place.

hmm ok i don't have any deffinate plans on doing this just kinda kicking around the idea at the moment because i have an mj that isn't going to see the road that i'm thinking of bastard lifting for the woods

as has been stated, spobi, obviously for the perch widths, but also you are definately looking more like 5-5.5" of lift.

I agree on the perches. I even measured my old XJ axle when I first got the MJ just in case. Then decided to sell the XJ 8.25 for an 8.8 anyway.

I got closer to 6"-6.5" on mine with the SOA, and non MT leaf packs. With the MT option (metric ton), they sat higher from the factory to start, so even more front lift is required to sit somewhat level... unless you like lots of rake.

This is it with 4.5" coils in front and a 2" spacer on 35s, before I did any fender trimming:
DSCF2898.jpg

Here is after trimming, and they are evenly trimmed front and rear. Kinda a bad angle to really show lift height though.
DSCF3481.jpg

Last edited:
TRAILREADYXJ: i like your fender trimming, i have 'kept the lip' on my xj, but yours looks awesome, im sure it helps with the fender flapping in the rear (friend has a soa mj, 6", 33's, but he fully gutted the inside of his rear fenders.

Back