• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how hard to pull transmission

pikey77

NAXJA Forum User
My 2001 automatic transmission is binding up in reverse and 1/2. Seems to drag a little in D.

Anyhow I'm guessing its just screwed up somehow and thinking of swapping in a different one.

How hard a job is it to pull and replace the old transmission? Anybody have a write up?

Don't jump yet. When you say BINDING, what do you mean? It may not be a tranny issue. We need more info. The AW4 is pretty much bullet proof. How many miles are on it & what does the fluid look like?

fluids good.

By binding I mean that it seems that its trying to engage two gears at once.

In D it works good. But I've been told D only engages 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. In reverse or if you put it into 1/2 it binds up and wont move.

If you put about 3000 or 4000 rpms it will suddenly slip and jerk violently in either first or reverse.

Most transmission shops are wanting around 2,300 for a rebuild. My tranny case needs to be rebuilt to so thats another 500+

Jeep has 70,000 miles on it.

I just bought this JEEP two months ago but honestly for that much coin i dont think its gonna be worth me keeping. Shame too cause the rest of the truck is mint

I've found another 01 thats being parted out and I can get the transmission for about 400 I think. But unless I can do it myself the labor charges are gonna be too much for me to handle.

If your transmission and transfer case need to be rebuilt at 70k then it is definitely NOT a mint truck. The auto AW4 in my 98 have over 140k and shifts perfectly and I've heard of others going upwards of 200k+ I would be wondering what kind of abuse your poor XJ suffered to have that catastrophic of a drivetrain failure at 70k.

fluids good.

In D it works good. But I've been told D only engages 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. In reverse or if you put it into 1/2 it binds up and wont move.
If you put about 3000 or 4000 rpms it will suddenly slip and jerk violently in either first or reverse.
Most transmission shops are wanting around 2,300 for a rebuild. My tranny case needs to be rebuilt to so thats another 500+
I just bought this JEEP two months ago but honestly for that much coin i dont think its gonna be worth me keeping. Shame too cause the rest of the truck is mint
I've found another 01 thats being parted out and I can get the transmission for about 400 I think. But unless I can do it myself the labor charges are gonna be too much for me to handle.

go for it, that's not a lot of clams, the job itself is not too difficult IMHO, but I have the tools and experience, what have you got along those lines?
don't forget time and place as well

Have you ruled out the nuetral safety switch? If it is not indexed correctly it can cause shift selection problems. There is a write up on here somewhere. It does not require removing the trans. I have 220K on my AW4 and it is shifting strong.

Just a thought.

Definately look into what the problem is. I gave away my first AW4 at 211k, and it worked perfectly. My current one has 225k on it and works perfectly. Both of them were abused on a daily basis during the time they were in my Jeep. Also they are somewhat difficult to unbolt from the engine while in the vehicle, it is said to be possible, but I could not get it done.

take a couple pics of your T.case linkages and have at it. The only remotely difficult parts are re-aligning all the linkage bracketry and getting the two external torx bolts at the top of the bellhousing out.

unfortunately all my real tools were stolen about 3 years ago. So all I have left is basics. A socket set and wrench set. No air tools or anything. And i live in a condo now so work space is extremely limited as well.

A couple of years ago I had to pull my trans to repair the freeze plug at the back of the block. The only thing you would need more than hand tools is a transmission jack. I used a cheap $30 from harbor freight. There are a couple of bolts at the top of the transmission that will require a couple of extensions to get too. Other than that pretty easy.
I'd never done it before and had the trans dropped, freeze plug fixed and trans reinstalled in about 4 hours.

fluids good.

Have you asked them what the labour cost would be if you provide the replacement trans?

Its usually $500 labor to pull and install a transmission at a shop. The hardest part about pulling the transmission is the top two bolts on the bell housing. I usually do all I can as far as wires and the little stuff first then put a jack under the tranny, remove the cross member, drop the transmission a bit, remove the top two bell housing bolts, lft the transmission back to its original position, then remove the two large bell housing bolts. Also, keep in mind that, depending on what jack you use, that you need a bunch of clearance to pull the transmission out form under the XJ.

You have checked the basics like the fluid level right? Check the throttle-body to tranny cable as that can cause some sluggish of failing to shift problems as well. Unplug the trans computer (under drivers side of the dash above the pedal for a 2001) and see if the tranny shifts correctly when manually shifting with the shifter. The trans computer is out of the picture with the shifter in reverse, so its probably not a NSS or electronics problem.

Back