• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Control fuse blowing, 2 Questions

DrRandy

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ, I6 H.O.

I have 2 questions related to the title. I know that the Fuel pump, injectors, coil, O2 sensor, GENERATOR FIELD and ENGINE CONTROLLER AUTOMATIC TRANS. CONTROLLER (ATCU) are on this circuit. Found this info in the FSM.

What are/is the "generator field" and "ATCU"?? I'm trying to trace all wiring on the Engine control fuse circuit.

thanks!

Thanks winter...
Saying "in the alternator" would that mean i would need to replace the Alt? If i get it tested could they tell if the Gen. field is bad?
ATCU is "computer box that controls the automatic transmission" is that seperate from the PCM?

BTW: the ONLY time this fuse blows is on the trail's AND on a hill climb....its a jeep, i dont get it! I did replace the motor mounts, they were shot. I was kinda thinking when the engine was under a lot of load with bad motor mounts possibly the engine was "twisting" and shorting a wire?

thanks again

Last edited:
FIXED!!!! I Cleaned a few connectors, changed motor mounts (SEE ABOVE, they were shot) Zip tied a few wires back!! Bingo! ALL GOOD!
I think alot had to do with the motor mounts, the problem would ONLY happen on a hill climb UNDER LOAD. Twisting and torque on the engine could have been pinching a wire causing the short.

Hope this helps someone,

IF YOU ASK FOR HELP ON THE BOARD TO SOLVE A PROBLEM AND YOU SOLVE IT, POST WHAT YOU DID. It might help someone else!

Back