• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

egr valve question

chedisme

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Is the egr valve on the 98 I6 located on the side of the throttle body closest to the airbox?

also is it easy/cheap(well under 100$ for the part) to replace?

my jeep is misfiring and backfiring alot. I replaced my cap rotor and wires, still not fixed. checked all the plugs they look ok. ill probably buy some of them too and try that also. my haynes manual says it could be a stuck egr valve, but it doesent show where its located on the post renix era engines.

all help is greatly appreciated.

Are you getting a Check Engine Light with the misfiring and backfiring? A lot of the guys on here will tell you to diagnose and troubleshoot before throwing parts at the problem. I've also heard that a cracked intake maniford can cause the symptoms your describing.....something our year XJ is famous for. Just my $.02

If the vacuum line is loose between the throttle body and the MAP sensor on the upper firewall, it will cause that problem. The vac line sometimes get knock loose of the throttle body.

Back