• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TOWING THE XJ

According to my 1992 Cherokee owner's manual the correct proceedure for towing is:

Selec-Trac transfer case:

!) Shift transmission into N neutral
2) Shift transfer case into N neutral
Note: The full time light will stay on
3) Shift trnsmission into D drive and make sure there is no vehicle movement
4) Turn ignition key to the unlocked OFF position
5) Shift transmission into park

Command-Trac transfer case:

1) Shift transfer case to 2H and check that the PART TIME light goes out
2) Drive vehicle 10 ft rearward and then 10 ft forward to make sure axle is disengaged
3) Shift transmission into N neutral
4) Turn off the engine with the ignition key in the unlocked off position
5) Shift transfer case lever from 2H to N neutral position
6) Shift manual transmission into gear or automatic transmission into P park

Hope this helps

Important: this is what I do and what you do is of your own choosing.

I make sure that the XJ's Transfer Case I am going to tow is put in Neutral and the Steering Wheel is unlocked in the Off Position and free to turn when Flat Towing and using a Tow Hitch Mounted to the Front Bumper and/or Frame of the XJ. I use Safety chains crisscrossed when towing an XJ. If the Coupler of the Tow Hitch comes loose from the Towing Vehicle and the Chains are crisscrossed the XJ should track behind the Tow Vehicle straight instead of side to side IMHO.

When I use a Dolly, the steering Wheel is not as important. I make sure the Towed XJ's Transfer Case is in Neutral Position so the Wheels will turn freely.

This is how I do it anyway.

Edit: I now see desertrandy answered your Question. Do not do it my way.... Do it by his Post, the "Jeep Manual" way.

Last edited:
Back