• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dear NAXJA, Whats cheaper?

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
for a couple years now i thought i would love rock crawling, and just a year ago i finally got my cherokee... i havent had enough money to get it going yet...

but then ive been watching alot of videos on youtube of people and their cherokees doing baja style racing, and personally it seems more thrilling.

So my question is, whats cheaper in the short run (starting out)
And, whats cheaper in the long run (how often parts break)

It's cheaper to not get involved in any off-road activities at all.

Once you decide to go racing, or go Off-Roading, the price of participation is what you decide it will be. Some people keep it simple and have fun. Some people are not satisfied until they have mortgaged the house, whore'd out the wife and sold the kids as slaves ;)

-Ron

lol yea ive heard about people doing that kinda stuff. its ridiculous..

And i do understand

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

but how much do i really need to do, to start getting into baja? i think i would enjoy baja better cause i seem to be a speed demon.

for a couple years now i thought i would love rock crawling, and just a year ago i finally got my cherokee... i havent had enough money to get it going yet...

but then ive been watching alot of videos on youtube of people and their cherokees doing baja style racing, and personally it seems more thrilling.

So my question is, whats cheaper in the short run (starting out)

Do it right the first time is the Cheapist. Decide what tire size you wish to run with and what kind of Offroading you wish to do first.

And, whats cheaper in the long run (how often parts break)

As for breaking something... I break something about every other time out.

We need a little more info to help you out IMHO.

are there any people here that do baja style?

If you like speed, get a miata, turbo it, and autocross it. Cheap speed at its finest.

im more interested in bumpy flying offroad speed. and i'd rather put a 427 in a 280z

Any form of high speed off-roading will be WAY more expensive than just 4-wheeling.Its also not just about the cost of the rig either.

About the slaving out the kids. How much do think my 3yr old boy and 1 yr old girl can earn me. I need to do some work on my Jeep. JK LOL!!!

it aint cheap at the top, no matter where the top is.
its 100% your choice dude, which do you enjoy?
having a top tier rig isnt easy either way.

yea.. i was just looking into the jeepspeed forum at
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=994493&page=1

and its already looking way more expensive than a regular crawler
AMEN! If you've never been crawling unbolt your swaybar and GO!!!!!!!!!!! If you're looking for cheap fun you'll find it n the trail, that's why a lot of us do this. Because it's pretty cheap. And if you want there a million different ways to do this thing cheap. ZJ coils, blocks, longer shackles, ect... will get you enough room for 31" tires for next to nothing. There are just as many trails to run on 31s as there is 37s.

Territory and what's around should have something to do with your decision....not what guys on the internets say.

True, i used crawling as an example because he mentioned it earlier.

Territory and what's around should have something to do with your decision....not what guys on the internets say.

I totally agree.

Although, first thing first - go and wheel your XJ, learn how it wheel it stock, and learn it's limits and capabilities. You may change your minds a hundred times before you figure out what you like more. When you do decide on a direction to go, add one mod at a time - i.e. lift it first and see what does lifted and re-learn how to wheel it and it's capabilities. Then lock it or whatever you decide, then so on..

Just remember that there's no "right way." There may be "wrong ways," but no one right-way.

well... i already lifted it 3" (from stock height)

so it was really like 5-1/2 - 6 inches of lift from original height lol..

i would love to lock the rear end before i do anything, but your all right about me having to just go try it first.

screw crawling and racing. go mudding. i think it's a little more fun seeing how far you can push the little 4.0 before breaking something, fixing it and going out to see if it worked

Back