• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front door speaker problems

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
So both of the front door speakers have stopped working in my 99 XJ. The drivers went first and then the passenger a few months later. The speakers are good, and I'm sure it's the wiring (I can jiggle the wiring protector that goes from the vehicle to the door and sometimes it will produce sound for a second). Is this common? Is there a place I should look first for a short or should I just start tracing wires??

this is common due to the constant opening and closing of the doors. I think that there are a few threads on here related. What usually happens is that the wires seperate...Trace it down to see where you have power and where you don't. Start at the back of the stereo and go all the way through the circuit to the speaker. Where ever you lose that voltage, is where the break in the wire is. Assuming that is the problem and that it is not a ground issue.

i actually had this problem when i bought my 2000 xj, they " should " be broken where the rubber boot goes between the body and the door, it will more than likely be seperated there, what happened is they used some kind of hard plastic that doesnt bend well. what i did was i slid the boot back found the break, then got inside the kick panel where the fuses are and traced it back to a good part on the wire and butt connected a new wire in and ran a new wire thru the door to the speaker, thats the cheapest way to rig it, or you can just find the left front/right front speaker wires on the back of your cd player and run all new wires, your call

Now would be a good time to add in some sort of quick disconnect feature if you plan on taking your doors off. :)

Had the same problem with my pass side door. The speaker was intermittant and would work if you moved the wire bundle between the door and the frame. After pulling the panel and the speaker, there was a slight amount of corrosion on the connection to the speaker. Some light scraping with a small screwdriver on both the speaker and the plug, a squirt of some electrical cleaner, and voila, it solved the issue.:sunshine:

All the previous responses by members have been accurate....
The 97 and newer XJs will have this problem sooner or later....
The problem exists from cheap small gauge wiring and not enough strain relief where the wiring is flexed most....
My 98 had this same problem several years ago...
I located the broken wiring in the flexible rubber boot, but decided instead of repairing the wiring inside the boot... I would run new leads using left over 14ga speaker wiring from my home entertainment system.
Much stronger and more strands to transfer the power....

Back