• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ Hub/Wheel/Tire upgrade

ers81239

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing the 'upgrade it as it breaks' plan. There are some really funky noises coming from the left front wheel area. I've checked what I know to check and suspect that the wheel bearings are shot. I can even hear one rolling around or something loose inside the hub. On top of that the thing needs new tires. So I want to do a series of upgrades that all seem to depend on each other. They are:

1. Warn manual hub 5 on 5.5
2. Rear 5 on 5.5 adapter
3. 5 on 5.5 steel wheels
4. 30x9.5x15 tires
6. Mandatory brake rotor upgrade for the warn.
7. New inner axles if needed (if it isn't the hub, it seems like it may be gunk in the axle tube).

If money weren't an issue I'd get a lift and maybe 31 or 32s. I'm not hardcore, but I love to trailride, do some mud and hill climbing. I'm in Alabama so there aren't too many rocks. I've read that the 30's will fit on the stock suspension, so I'll stick with them now and then upgrade that in the future.

My questions are:

1. Is there any reason to get something other than 15 in wheels
2. Is it true that with the hubs I can put in a full time locker in the front (later)?
3. Is there something else I should do at the same time, or how would you adjust my plan?

1. if you go bigger its usualy to compensat for something such as biger brakes or a knuckle swap etc.
2. if you have the vacumm disconect front axle you can do that now but yes you are correct.
3. if you want 31 you can get a budget boost so that you can clear them for only about a 100$ but other than that plan out what you eventualy want to do and build towards that.

1. Not really, unless you plan on a brake upgrade.

2. You can put one in now. It just depends on how you want your XJ to respond when you are driving. But yes, with lockout hubs, you can install a full time front locker, without any ill-effects as long as the hubs aren't locked in.

3. With the information you have given, I find a warn hub kit to be a bit overkill. And alot of money to spend for no "sensible" reason. I would simply replace the worn unit bearings and call it good. But if you are set on upgrading. I would still stick with Unit Bearings, just get the Alloy USA 30 Spline Chromo kit.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/30spline/30spline-1.htm

Back