• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Column shifter

Slip Kid

That'll buff right out
So, I've heard they exist, but are they swapable? What would this involve, just swapping the entire column? What sort of center console was in XJs set up like this?

Finding one seems like it would be the hardest part of the swap...

You have longer shift linkage and its routed different w/ the column shift...
What would be the advantage to moving it to the column, I see that being more of a burden

I turn off automatic while offroad. I thought it would be nice to always have hands near the wheel. While there might be cheaper/easier ways to do that, this would be the coolest way.

The AW4-equipped MJ, I believe, had it. The column there is compatible with the XJ, and should swap (grab the entire linkage as well - but the AW4 is cable-shifted, so it should pose no trouble.)

The OBD-II "Police Package" XJs were also equiped with column shifters, but those were ChryCo columns, and are (I believe) only compatible with 1997-up bodies.

Pickup trucks with automatica usually also have bench seats, and moving the shifter allows the centre console to be eliminated and to give clearance for the seat to travel.

Police vehicles have column shifters simply to allow room for the radio/electronics control console to sit on the transmission hump - which is far easier than re-engineering the IP to accept several DIN-mount radios and light/siren control panels...

NB: Up through 1996, the XJ used a metric Saginaw (GM) column, with a Chrysler key 1991-1996. Therefore, you could probably get a column-shift GM column as a donor for the core of the conversion, but the rest of the linkage would have to be found or fabricated.

Hmm MJ. I didn't know the column-shift police package was only newer XJs. I guess the MJ column would be easier to find anyway.

I suppose the key doesn't matter, as the Jeep has been pushbutton start for years... I'm assuming that the later column will not fit at all anyway.

So all AW4 MJs, what years would that be? or are all auto MJ's AW4s?

Hmm MJ. I didn't know the column-shift police package was only newer XJs. I guess the MJ column would be easier to find anyway.

I suppose the key doesn't matter, as the Jeep has been pushbutton start for years... I'm assuming that the later column will not fit at all anyway.

So all AW4 MJs, what years would that be? or are all auto MJ's AW4s?

I can say with certainty that the AW4 was 1987-1992 with 4.0L. I'm sure the other auto-equipped MJs (Baby 904 behind GM V6-173ci or AMC 150ci) used the same column - the shifter linkage would be different once it leaves the column, probably.

And don't neglect other column-shift GM donors 1980-1995 or so - same column.

My '94 Guv'mt XJ has a column shift. It's the first one I'd seen when I got it in '06. They have NO center console, just rubba' mat interior. Manual everything. As light and simple as they come. I have a 3 1/2" lift with 31" Cepek FC II's on Jeep Ravine alloys. With my 4.7 stroker, it scoots.

I had a column shifter in my MJ. It was cool and all but I found that when I had it in 3 and especially 1-2 that the shifter was awfully close to my knee. I'm 6'2" and it was an MJ with the bench seat, so not quite as much room as an XJ. Just thought I'd share before you go swapping!!

I have the column in my MJ. originally I told myself it would be in the way, and I'd probably swap it to a floor shifter with buckets down the road.
Well, now that I'm used to it, I really like it being in easy reach of the steering wheel, so I think it is gonna stay.

BTW I'm 6'4" and it doesnt get in my way in 1-2 :dunno:
DSCF2623.jpg

My '94 Guv'mt XJ has a column shift. It's the first one I'd seen when I got it in '06. They have NO center console, just rubba' mat interior. Manual everything. As light and simple as they come. I have a 3 1/2" lift with 31" Cepek FC II's on Jeep Ravine alloys. With my 4.7 stroker, it scoots.

OK - so the earlier X1 "Fleet" version had it as well - I didn't know that. Helps...

Back