• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I change the Timing Chain? '00 4.0l

Audnorge

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trained by my mechanic the last 20 years to do timing belt changes on my european cars every 60k....maybe he's just overzealous. Or he likes my $300.

What's the deal with the 4.0l? I have a 2000 w/ 90k.

Change it or leave it alone?

thanks, Aud

Leave it. Doesn't need regular maintenance like a timing belt.

I own a repair shop, kinda specialize in Jeeps (we do a LOT of them).... only seen one 4.0 timing chain fail, and it was at like 280k miles.

John

Thanks John, your experience and advice are appreciated! :star:

Avanteone said:
Leave it. Doesn't need regular maintenance like a timing belt.

I own a repair shop, kinda specialize in Jeeps (we do a LOT of them).... only seen one 4.0 timing chain fail, and it was at like 280k miles.

John

Yeah leave it be.

I work for vw and we only do timing chains if the guides break or if they are excesively noisy. Maybe once a year a car gets them done, if that.

The 4.0 has a non interference timing chain correct? Meaning if it breaks your motor just won't run.

My Honda Civic (yeah for DD's!!) is different. IF the chain goes it could destroy the engine. That's why they are considered PM on some vehicles.

I've got almost 200K and never touched the timing chain.

Long ago on this or the previous forum I remember seeing a recommendation that every once in a while you take the distributor cap off, and turn the crank backwards, to see how many degrees of rotation it takes to pick up slack in the chain. It seems a good idea, that more than a certain amount of slack is a sign your chain is getting worn out. What I can't remember is how many degrees were considered acceptable. Does anyone remember this?

Back