• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS cleaned and still not working

JeepDreems

NAXJA Forum User
Hello :NAXJA: ,
Wonderful place you have here - I'm new to the Jeep thing and like what I see.
Purchased a 96 XJ AHB. One issue is the NSS, I removed and cleaned - following http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp , but I have impedance at the plug for reverse but no reverse lights (btw, my wiring did NOT match the Haynes manual). I assume, Time to replace?

here she is the day after I washed her

IMG00236-2.jpg

When I did mine, I had to use a small pick to clean out some hardened grease in the wiper arm cavities. Make sure you get it all out. Any left can keep the small contact plates from sliding freely. Next I used a full sheet of 220 emery paper on my table saw's table and sanded the entire surface of the contact plate, not just the contacts, to make sure the surface was smooth and flat. Don't go too crazy here.

So I'd try it again and test the connections with an ohm meter before you re-install.

NSS_1.jpg

Mostly when you rebuild the NSS it's just cleaning crud off, couple gotchas are misalignment and torquing the bolt down so much you can't shift. I'd redo it and check everything and X2 on resistance check.

(The Haynes manual says it goes to 01, but it actually stops at 95)

Back