• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weled rear axle ?

I wouldnt really suggest it for a DD. Like said before increased tire wear might get to your wallet. Also every parking space you'll chirp em. You get a lot of weird looks. HAHA! If you don't mind this do it, just make sure you do it properly, if done right the axle shafts should snap before any part of the gears break.

Why not a Lock-rite or an Aussie. They release while you are turning and wind up when you hit it again.

That $0 can quickly turn into replaced axle shafts, tires, and other driveline parts that wear out due to the constant stress. IMHO you are better off with a lunchbox locker.

X2, being cheep now will really cost you in the long run. Also you say you have the 8.25, but you didn't say if it was a 27 or 29 spline.

How often do you wheel it that you really need it locked. Considering it's your daily driver, a welded rear is a PITA. But if you wheel it a lot and need a locker, it's definitely worth it. I have a 29 spline 8.25 welded on 33's. I just re-welded it because after about 6 months, the welds broke (I think it was prob. due to using a 110V welder and being less generous with the amount of welding). This time I welded the crap out of it with a 220V welder and welded the spiders to the carrier. It should hold this time!

How often do you wheel it that you really need it locked. Considering it's your daily driver, a welded rear is a PITA.
Yes,there are definately times when having the rear open is a major benefit!

I had a 304 8v CJ5 with a welded rear. In snow it was very hard to drive. The back end was always loose

31x13.50 tires on 12 inch wide rims when aired down gave me a contact patch that was huge. In any kind of loose soil, snow, ice the rear end was coming around on me.

even in an DD XJ I do not think that welded Diff would be a good thing

Back