• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 help

M. Lake

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 t-case and don't have the funds to do a SYE. Can I use the output shaft off a '91 case and call it good?

Ok, what is the problem? What do you have and what is it doing or not doing?

btw... this actually would be probably more of a mod tech question...

I have a '91 NP 231 that has the back cover (one with tag) broken. It came out of a 5 speed. I have gotten rid of the input gear, and used chain on wife's '95 NP231, but it still has issues. I have a '96 NP231 complete. The '91 outputshaft housing is toasted.

Don't want the '96 case in my project jeep, would rather have older one in until I can get a D300. Was thinking of putting the '91 output shaft on the '96, so I can still lift the misses jeep around 3-4" without getting into a serious driveline mod. Then take the 231 that is in her jeep now and fix it to put in my jeep. Lifted already, and going higher. Would like to avoid buying 5-6 drive shafts just to have a temp (year or two) case in my jeep.

As stands, I have the abs system on my '93 rig, which gives me the 297X axle joints. I also have the D35C with stock LSD. I am going to put better axles on (found D60 rear with LSD, would like HPRCD60 front from ford) so I will not need the ABS crap on my rig. Want to put my D30 and 35 in place of her 30 and 8.25 (becouse the 35 has LSD, and the 8.25 is rock hugger) giving her the ABS system, axles with wheel speed sencors and stronger axle joints. Gives me the '95 break booster upgrade with new axles. The wife's jeep was pulled behind an RV before we got it, and I found some damage to the sub frame in front when I tried to put my stock skid on. I guess it had a good tug, or the RV hit something. But both sides of the subframe (6" or so back from bumper) is bent in on both sides, so this will not be a compatition rig, just about 4-6" of lift (depends on wife) and she does not plan on being the last owner (use for trade later). I myself, will continue to hack off what ever is damaged off mine until there is nothing left, then get an other one.

Back