• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc Break conversion

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into getting the brake convertion by teraflex. Anyone know a cheap place to get this? Hows the qauality of parts? Who else makes a good kit? I priced out new parts for a Grand Cherokee to bolt up and its the same price if not more then the kit. Might as well go with a kit. Thanks.

Because it is quick and easy. :laugh3:

I had read nearly every thread I could find on here and JF about teh conversion, so I may go the ZJ route if I can get the parts together, but $500 doesn't seem all that bad to get it all in one convenient kit.

Re: Disc Brake conversion

ya cause its easy. Plus i many parts on this system i want new. new caliper and rotors. pads will have to be new for sure. So will parking brake pads. $450 is a great price.

Calipers are cheap if you have a core.....and new discs are only 15-20/pc brand new.

Morty'sXJ said:
The Teraflex kit is over $500. Why do that when you can swap in zj stuff for much much less?

$430 shipped actually. And Why? Because it bolted right on, I didn't have to permanently modify any parts, and all the parts for my brakes are now brand spankin' new.

aa0f3930.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:
$430 shipped actually. And Why? Because it bolted right on, I didn't have to permanently modify any parts, and all the parts for my brakes are now brand spankin' new.

Not to hijack, but...

Where did you find it for that price? I havn't been able to find it much lower than $450 plus shipping...
Another quick question for 91 Jeep Project: How does the ebrake work on the Tera kit? It looks like the an internal ''drum'' setup for the inside of the rotor. I know there are many vehicles with this style and am fairly familiar with it, but how well does the Tera's kit really work?

I'm also looking at the TSM MFG kit (here: http://www.tsmmfg.com/2562_44.htm). I have heard great things about that kit and from what I've read places seems to be a well rounded full kit, with a parking brake if you want it. However, I don't know how the caliper parking brake holds up. Anyone have any experiance with these type of parking brakes?

Last edited:
DC 4WD all day long for that price. The parking brake in an internal drum, identical to the Ford 8.8 and ZJ discs. So it works well. And since it is identical, the M.O.R.E. 8.8 XJ ebrake cables bolt right up...............:thumbup:

The TSM kit is okay, but IMO way overpriced, and lacks a decent ebrake setup. The caliper integrated brakes are about worthless.

groovyone said:
I found the kit at http://www.northridge4x4.com/ for a great price, AND you can get a premade emergency brake cable. That is my likely source once I get to this item on my things to do checklist.

Go back and re-figure. The complete kit with E-brake cable is $600. It's $450, XJ kit is + $25 and the E-brake cable sets you back another $125. Not too cool of a price if you ask me.

After much research, I purchased the TeraFlex DBK-J disk brake kit from a source that was much less than the prices stated above for my 91 MJ. All the parts were of very high quality, and the installation was cake, even for me. And it's not necessary (at least on my rig) to purchase the ebrake cable accessory, since all you need is two standard Ford-type slotted clevis ebrake cable fittings on the ends of your existing ebrake cables. I had enough adjustment to make my stock cables work; assume it will be the same with the XJs. Been on for over a year now, no problems. Best upgrade I ever made.

handbrake.jpg

Morty'sXJ said:
The Teraflex kit is over $500. Why do that when you can swap in zj stuff for much much less?

In some cases it will not be less to go the ZJ route, depending on how easily you can get the parts. When I did mine, I called the local junkyards and the ones that had ZJs would not separate the brake assemblies - which means I would have to buy the whole axle. And those places wanted about $400 for an axle. Then most people want (if not need) new brake pads and possibly rotors. So at that price, you are better off going with the kit because you get all new stuff. If you are lucky and can get the ZJ parts free or cheap then do it.

If you look at the cost vs benefits of having rear discs, I am very happy with what I paid for the TeraFlex kit.

comanche91 said:
After much research, I purchased the TeraFlex DBK-J disk brake kit from a source that was much less than the prices stated above for my 91 MJ. All the parts were of very high quality, and the installation was cake, even for me. And it's not necessary (at least on my rig) to purchase the ebrake cable accessory, since all you need is two standard Ford-type slotted clevis ebrake cable fittings on the ends of your existing ebrake cables. I had enough adjustment to make my stock cables work; assume it will be the same with the XJs. Been on for over a year now, no problems. Best upgrade I ever made.

handbrake.jpg
where was your source?

How good do your brakes stop? Even with this conversion my rear brakes wont lock even when on jack and the wheels spinning on jacks. For those who have gone to disc conversion let me know how well they lock the brakes. Thanks.

I don't know if I could lock up my brakes on dry pavement but I'm on 35's. I'm a wussie and don't want to try it. :) Maybe they would lock up, maybe not. But... I definitely feel an improvement in stopping power. Before I could not feel the rear brakes helping at all. Now I can. Honestly my rig stops better on 35's and rear discs than it did with 31's and stock drums.

Anybody know if the Explorer rear disc setup would work on a 8.25? I can get those rear axles for $250 a pop and since they are complete, it would have everything I needed.....if it worked.

I know the Go-jeep article mentions a ford car setup and I think the crown vic and explorer rear disc setup are the same.

This has probably been asked before in the many, many disc conversion threads, but i'll ask again. What are the parts in the Terra kit from? Are they just repackaged ford/jeep parts, or is this something that Terra flex maufactures themselves? Also for those of you with the kit. Where do you get the replacement pads? Are they a standard size that can be had at any parts house?

dphillips said:
This has probably been asked before in the many, many disc conversion threads, but i'll ask again. What are the parts in the Terra kit from? Are they just repackaged ford/jeep parts, or is this something that Terra flex maufactures themselves? Also for those of you with the kit. Where do you get the replacement pads? Are they a standard size that can be had at any parts house?
I think they are repackaged 8.8 parts.

Back