• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken hood release

Mine is a 97, different grille, etc, but I've had this happen twice, I can get in through the headlights, unbolt the spring stops that the hood latches catch on. It's a royal pain in the a$$, but it beats cutting sheet metal. My replacement cable lasted a year - new one has been in a couple months, I should order the replacement one for that so it's on the shelf when I need it.....

Mark

do what I did.. cut the cable.. and drill some holes for hood pins.. so much easier

Been thinking about that for a while, used a motorcycle cable lube kit that clamps on the end of the cable and forces cable lube down the channel, can't find the kit anymore, it's around someplace, I put it where I would not loose it :doh:. I've also in the past put the hood all the way up, shot spray graphite, couple of squirts, let it sit, couple of more and a few more after that, usually while I'm changing the oil or something. Did the same thing on the ZJ, both are like new after that.

Both the cable, and the bellcrank assembly under the hood are problematic. If you replace the cable, at least hit that bellcrank with rust penetrant, then something like aerosol white grease.

mfascuba has the way to get the hood open. It'll make more sense if you can look at another XJ (there are a couple of very good pics here.)

Whereabouts in MI are you?

Mine has been hard to get open even after lubing, eliminating the cable and hood pining mine looks like something Im going to be adding to my to do list.

using pins is simple there is already holes in the header panel to put the pins in and bolt them down.. then just line them up and drill through your hood..

just don't do like I did and forget to put the pins in.. hood flew open at 50mph.. scared the crap outta us

thanks for all the help. cant do much right now had new disk put in my neck tuesday. there will be some time before i can fix it

thank u all again

Got a new disc? I have 4 vertebrae fused in my neck. That's what happens when you race motorcycles. With all the titanium my Xrays look like Frankenstein. For Halloween one year my kids got me fake bolts to put on the side of my neck.

Back