• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boatsides??

96TNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have been thinking of redoing my sliders (there are done cheap and half done) and when I do I want to put (I think) a piece of 2x6? steel tubing into the rocker. Then do frame stiffeners and then do the boatsides from those 2 pieces with the kicker in the middle and all. Is this a good idea?? Is there a better way to go?? I searched and didnt find what I had in mind. Any and all help would be great thanks!!

Hey I have been thinking of redoing my sliders (there are done cheap and half done) and when I do I want to put (I think) a piece of 2x6? steel tubing into the rocker. Then do frame stiffeners and then do the boatsides from those 2 pieces with the kicker in the middle and all. Is this a good idea?? Is there a better way to go?? I searched and didnt find what I had in mind. Any and all help would be great thanks!!

There are some good discussions on this in the AdFab forum. I'm not sure why you couldn't find them in a search. There are guys doing several variations of the rocker replacement in there.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but me telling you my opinion wouldn't do as much good as reading those threads full of opinions. If you can't find it, the next time I have a chance, I'll find a link for you.

Billy

Well, those are boatsides. What is it that you're talking about?

Instead of boatsides are you talking about normal rocker replacements? Quite a few have done it on here and also implemented a tube on the outside like alot of rock sliders use.

Im not thinking of a true boatside I guess its more like a skid maybe?? Like do the rocker replacement like your talking about. Frame stiffeners and then weld a plate with kickers from the new rockers to the frame. That make more sence??

You're looking for rocker replacement mixed with a little boatside. To be honest though if you just weld in the box tube for the rocker replacement there's no big need for the cross supports to the rails and plating it. Those are only needed when you do a true boatside as it cuts away alot of the reinforcing in the floor and sides. for you're typical rocker replacement most people use 2x4 1/4" box and weld in place of the rockers.

ok thats what I was wondering so I guess its one of those all or nothing deals then lol Thanks I guess Ill do the rocker replacement and frame stiffeners and leave it at that

Ya well thats not exactly what Im talking about so that why Im asking

Do you have any pics to see if you did what Im thinking about??
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/jeeperjohn/DSCF1262.jpg
DSCF1262.jpg

Back