• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radius LA's with removed upper link

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running some custom built radius style long arms on my XJ. Lowers are 2"x0.25" DOM with 1.25" JJ's, uppers are 1.5"x0.25" DOM with 3/4" heims. I experimented with them a little bit this past weekend by pulling the passenger side upper and got more flex with less binding than with two uppers. I ran a similar setup last year but wasnt happy with it due to the fact that my lowers were 1.5"x0.25" tubing.

I still dont like the noise and movement I'm getting in the joints in the single upper. Is there something I should be using other than heims. I've got a 3/4" shanked bushing that I was thinking about using where the upper meets the lower.

I think I'm either going to try to make the radius arms with single upper work, or just got to a 3-arm RK style.

If you are going to run a single upper on a radius arm style suspension, remove all rubber from the system. There is too much torional stress to keep bushings alive for long, not to mention their inability to control axle wrap hop in a single upper config.

xj4life said:
I'm running some custom built radius style long arms on my XJ. Lowers are 2"x0.25" DOM with 1.25" JJ's, uppers are 1.5"x0.25" DOM with 3/4" heims. I experimented with them a little bit this past weekend by pulling the passenger side upper and got more flex with less binding than with two uppers. I ran a similar setup last year but wasnt happy with it due to the fact that my lowers were 1.5"x0.25" tubing.

I still dont like the noise and movement I'm getting in the joints in the single upper. Is there something I should be using other than heims. I've got a 3/4" shanked bushing that I was thinking about using where the upper meets the lower.

I think I'm either going to try to make the radius arms with single upper work, or just got to a 3-arm RK style.

CRASH said:
If you are going to run a single upper on a radius arm style suspension, remove all rubber from the system. There is too much torional stress to keep bushings alive for long, not to mention their inability to control axle wrap hop in a single upper config.

well then maybe i'll switch the heims to small JJ's

I have been running a radius arm front suspension with only one upper link connected for 2 years. I am using no heim joints just the stock rubber bushings. It is my daily driver and weekend wheeler. It will flex like crazy, rides really smooth and quiet, and I have not had any problems with it. In my opinion the bushings are much better than heims, you cant break them, ride better, and they last longer.

Think about it this way, with a single upper radius arm system, there is no binding, therefor there is no need for deflection. In a two arm system, there is inherent bind in the system, and therefor bushings are used to allow for deflection.

Bushings can and do work in this instance, but no bushings work better, as they eliminate the slop that bushings introduce. For you non-believers, have a friend drive your Jeep to about 10 mph, and then jump on the brakes hard. When you see the amount of axle movementrotation under braking, you won't want to ride in your jeep anymore! It's really impressive, in a very scary sort of way.

Oh, and to the original poster, changing from heims, which are solid, to JJ's which are solid, will accomplish nothing. Now, if you use JKS's UCA bushing to JJ retrofit kit, and lose teh axle mounted bushing, you'de be on to something.

CRASH said:
Oh, and to the original poster, changing from heims, which are solid, to JJ's which are solid, will accomplish nothing. Now, if you use JKS's UCA bushing to JJ retrofit kit, and lose teh axle mounted bushing, you'de be on to something.

only reason i'd switch to JJ's is that heims are to loud. i like the smoothness and durability of the JJ's.

Do you have GOOD heims? Good ones should last several years. Nothing worng with JJ's though.

CRASH said:
Do you have GOOD heims? Good ones should last several years. Nothing worng with JJ's though.

yeah they're good. i just get a lot of noise from them. i dont know i'll have to give it some more time and thought.

Back