• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 disc setup

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99xj and a 8.25 with zj disc brakes i am going to install..What do i need for this setup new master cycl????? ive heard of people just changing out a spring???? any help would be appreciated

not trying to be a jerk but have you done a search? there are quite a few write up-s on how to do this (google might be your best bet, or over on jeepforum.com in the Tech section)

Edit:eek:r at the bottom of this thread in similar thread section

Replace the proportioning valve with an adjustable one. On my Crown 8.25 brakes, I'm going to remove the proportioning valve since its on full open 24/7 anyway. The jeep stops in a hurry, and the front end still locks up a touch before the rear.

yes i have searched and some say replace the proportioning valve and some say just replace the spring and others say go adjustable I am just wanting feedback from anyone who has done the conversion

The prop valves are exactly the same. It's the valve spring that is different. The XJ spring is alot stiffer since drum brakes require alot more back pressure. For my install (01 XJ Sport) I just had to grind out the center hole a bit larger. I totally recommend visiting a junkyard and grabbing (from a ZJ w/disc brakes) the longer bolts that hold the back plate and the longer stud bolts.

I did not change my p-valve. I did need to punch new wheel studs into the axles, the aluminum aftermarket wheels are too thick. Make sure you have a small diameter grinding device, like a dremel, or drill with a grinding stone. Also a stripping disk, or some plan to remove the corrosion and build up that accumulates on the tube. That corrosion prevents the backing plates from seating. Some anti-seize to prevent future rust. Have a plan for e brake cables. I ended up without parking brake because of piss poor planning, I hear the kj cables work. Find a good write up. The job is easy overall.

Last edited:
Did the C8.25 conversion on my 1998 back in 2001, but I used Cadillac Seville calipers with emergency brakes included and 11" rotors from a Lincoln Versaille. The factory emergency brake cables are easy to connect once the tightly wound coil spring is removed from the cable end.
Used the original MC and proportioning valve once I removed the seal from the proportioning rod inside the proportioner... "With tires larger than 31"; this should not be a problem".

Did the C8.25 conversion on my 1998 back in 2001, but I used Cadillac Seville calipers with emergency brakes included and 11" rotors from a Lincoln Versaille. The factory emergency brake cables are easy to connect once the tightly wound coil spring is removed from the cable end.
Used the original MC and proportioning valve once I removed the seal from the proportioning rod inside the proportioner... "With tires larger than 31"; this should not be a problem".

INTERESTING
Are the Seville calipers / pads much larger than the ZJ stuff?
Do they bolt right up to the ZJ backing plate or how are they mounted?
Which year Lincoln? Are the rotors substantially larger than ZJ gear?

We need more details on this - first time I've heard of these parts being used on Jeep axles...

Back