• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Issue---starts up to soon

OCMI_Teddy

NAXJA Forum User
I reciently did a tranny swap on my Xj (96-AW4-2wd-4.0L) After the swap everything ran fine, and I've drivin it approx 150-200 miles since the swap.

Last night however, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start, I hit the gas pedal and it start by started making some pretty horrible sounds so I immediatly stopped. It was kinda like a grinding/hard rubbing sound IIRC. It also threw a check engine light. Well this morning I went out with OBDII scanner to see if it would give me any clues, and when I turned the key one position over, (not all the way to ignition position) the xj started and no check engine. And there was no sound at first then a light rubbing/grinding sound came up. When I turned of the engine it sounded like the starter just stopped going. (Weeeeew sound).

Any ideas of where I messed on the swap?

It just gave me this code,
P0505 (M) Idle Air Control Motor Circuits SBEC II

I'm going to go under later today and make sure all the bolts are tight. But would that cause the starter to go when i just turn the key to the "on" position?

Last edited:
sounds like a belt to me or a pulley.

My AC pump sounded like that once :)

Also your IAC is on your TB

Last edited:
Yea, but did it make that grinding noise?

Believe me there are much greater minds then me but doesnt sound like a tranny swap issue.

Unless maybe a torque converter.

did you fill the TC with fluid before putting it on?

Last edited:
I stand corrected the sqeaking noise IS coming from the belts, but it doesn't make sense there would be a grinding noise.

I put about a full quart into the TC before putting it on.

are any pulleys loose? is the belt to tight? to loose? if not somethings about to give up the ghost.

no, all the pullys are tight, and relativly new (less than 15k)

Verify even a bolt or two coming out of the idler pulley can make this noise. This would be your problem if your lucky. verify the belt tension to tight can cause damage to pulley's

Back