• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem finding correct trans mount

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys Im struggling here. I blew out my transmission mount a long time ago and never got around to replacing it. Recently the transmission has dropped lower and must have completely blown out the mount. Got one used from a local guy, doesnt fit. Got one from Napa today, doesnt fit. The two I have gotten are the ones with the 4 crossmember bolts offset. My original mount has the 4 crossmember bolts centered in the mount.

I have a 2000 4.0 aw4, originally a 242, now 231 but that shouldnt make a difference.

This is what I have gotten twice so far and does not fit.
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=7746#

This is exactly what mine looks like with the bar in the middle.
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=44100

I spoke to the dealership and the parts guy said it looks like the mount changed from '99 to '00. My vin shows mine was made sometime in '99. I dont know if that would make a difference though. Anyone have any idea what mount I need, I need to get this thing back on the road asap.

Thanks for looking, MG

Probably already have this taken care of, but thought I'd post just in case.

I bought my trans mount at NAPA, got it home and see it doesn't match mine due to the offset.

Went back and we started looking at pictures in his book. Finally found one that matched the dimensions of mine. Napa part 620-1197. Said it's the mount for a 2.5 or 2.8 liter engine.

It fit perfectly except it didn't have a hole that lined up with the dimple in the steel plate it matches up with (the first mount didn't have it either). A few minutes with the drill took care of that and I'm back in business.

Best of all, it's a third the price of the first one!

Hope this helps.

Steve in Colorado Springs.
2000 XJ

Just a stupid question. You guys did try reversing the mount didn't you. They are non symetrical.

The mount on mine was completely symmetrical and I believe it was the original. The first one I bought was not symmetrical, it was offset.

Yes, I tried to make the offset mount work, but was unable to. Tried mounting it both ways and tried turning the crossmember around as well. I think I could have forced it, but that would likely have put a lot of stress on it.

The mount without the offset (the symmetrical one) fit perfectly. Dropped right in the holes without pushing the tranny one way or the other.

Not sure why, but mine had no offset. Sure made it a quieter ride.

Steve in Colorado Springs
2000 xj

I'm running into the same thing right now. I just picked up the offset one. I'm going to try the above part number tomorrow and see what I get.

The AutoZone trans mounts are OK, the Anchor brand. Haven't had any issues.

However their Anchor brand motor mounts are COMPLETE GARBAGE!

Just an FYI incase somebody doesn't have a Napa local.

Did anyone notice that neither of the mounts he linked are listed as fitting a 2000 4.0? 4WDH (and Quadratec, and Morris Automotive, etc etc) list the Crown replacement part as being 52059347AB.

If the 00 4 cyl mount doesn't fit, and the 99 4 cyl mount doesn't fit, then my next idea would be to try the mount for a 00 4 liter, then if that doesn't work, try a 99 4 liter.

If that still doesn't do it, the obvious next step is to take a few minutes, remove your old mount, and take it with you to a parts store and get the right one.

You might also ask the dealership parts guy what the part number should be...

When I was looking at the parts book at NAPA yesterday, for the 4 liter, they listed the same part number for everything from 97-01.

I gave them the 620-1197 part number this morning on the phone and they said that is for the early model MJs and for XJs with the diesel engine. They are bringing one in for me to look at this morning. I'll run over at lunch and compare them and report back what I find.

OK, 620-1197 is the correct part. Finished putting it on this morning after shearing off both of the cross member bolts. At least the studs were intact.

In case any one needs to know the threads for replacing the bolts and/or nuts here you go.

Cross member Bolts/nuts: 10mm x 1.5 Thread (Bolts are 40 mm long)
Cross member to tranny mount studs 8mm x 1.25 thread

The AutoZone trans mounts are OK, the Anchor brand. Haven't had any issues.

However their Anchor brand motor mounts are COMPLETE GARBAGE!
I just bought mounts for my Cadillac and near as I can tell all of the parts stores are selling Anchor--that includes Rock Auto, NAPA, and others (at the very least they are using the exact same parts photo with the same zinc coating drip). Autozone also has their own Duralast brand which is probably just relabeled dunno.

Back