• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel and Tire Storage

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
Due to a little delay on my rear leafs from RE, I don't think I'll be able to get my lift on before school :( the heep goes into storage for the winter (even more sad) because my dad saves about a grand on insurance.

So basically, I'm thinking about just throwing my wheels, tires (mounted already), leafs, coils, shocks, etc., etc. in my grandma's basement. Her house was built in like the 20s (concrete floors/block walls in unfinished half). Is there anything I should do to my stuff before storing it (wheels in trash bags sealed up) or anything. I just don't wanna somehow wreck a few hundred in tires.

I just wanted to double check, I don't know much about dry rot or anything like that. I could probably throw them in the third floor rooms if that'd be better. however, she doesn't heat the 3rd floor in the winter.

...done

Just store your tires in the Jeep... if it makes you feel any better.

.....that's so obvious i didn't even think of it haha

does temperature change matter at all? I don't know if i can fit 5 31s in the jeep though. guess i could try it, but I'd rather just put em at her house.

No they are tougher than that. lol You could fit 5 31's in there if you lay down the back seat.. I fit 4 35's in the back of my jeep with two 3.5" RE leaf spring and 2 3.5" RE coil springs and some other odd and ends. Their is plenty of room.

where is the Jeep gonna be... if protected from vandels i woud keep the tires and wheels and lift parts in it.

same here--^

if youre really worried about dry rot, you may want to consider giving them a quick spray of armour-all, or the like. im not sure how much this would really help (i.e. covering every little bit with it is overkill), but i give most of my extra tires a quick spray before letting them sit in my garage. just gives me a better piece of mind

same here--^

if youre really worried about dry rot, you may want to consider giving them a quick spray of armour-all, or the like. im not sure how much this would really help (i.e. covering every little bit with it is overkill), but i give most of my extra tires a quick spray before letting them sit in my garage. just gives me a better piece of mind

It gives you the piece of mind that it will dry out your tires faster. All that tire shine stuff is not good for tires.

It gives you the piece of mind that it will dry out your tires faster. All that tire shine stuff is not good for tires.

are there any products you can apply that do keep them protected. or i could even throw each one in a garbage bag if that would help? or would it hurt?

it's a longer story than that. i offered, believe me

the deal for college was my dad would buy us the car of our choice (within reason) if we got a free ride to college. so my brother got a free ride and got a car. i, on the other hand, got no scholarships, so my mom thinks it would be a slap in the face to my brother if i got to have the car i wanted even though i didn't get any scholarships. so they would rather have the car sit in the garage for 9 months strictly so my brother doesn't feel ripped off.

haha, make any sense?.......yea doesn't make any to me either.

but back to the tires....

buddy of mine said wash them with soap and water, put em in a garbage back, vacuum out all the air, and then put em in the basement laying flat.....

i'll probably just put em in the heep, seems overkill

I'm not trying to say you are wrong, but how so? The "coating" it puts on them seems beneficial to me :dunno:. Does the slurry of chemicals somehow actually eat alway at the sidewalls or something

yeah, those chemicals are bad for the tires!!

Just keep the tires outside, or in the basement....I wouldn't worry about them dry rotting

Back