• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque spec anyone?

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for the torque spec for the pinion nut on my 98 ChryCo 8.25. I know to mark the pinion, nut and yoke so they are all lined up in the same place before removal, I am just looking for the torque spec so I know when I'm close. Thanks!!!

There is no torque spec for a crush sleeve set-up!

But is Wim's method of counting turns and lining your marks back up close enough?

That's a good question. I now understand how it works. I suppose you have to rely on luck, unless you have a ft-lb torque wrench and an in-lb torque wrench to do it right. But who has done it the right way before and can tell us, on average, how many extra ft-lbs it usually takes, over the 210 to get the proper preload?

That's a good question. I now understand how it works. I suppose you have to rely on luck, unless you have a ft-lb torque wrench and an in-lb torque wrench to do it right. But who has done it the right way before and can tell us, on average, how many extra ft-lbs it usually takes, over the 210 to get the proper preload?

That would still vary. Tolerance in the manufacture of the bearings themselves, maching out the case casting, machining the pinion shaft, and the like will all combine to give a relatively large variable. Best best is to use the pound-inch torque wrench and measure preload properly - this isn't something you want to "guess" at, believe me!

I no longer run crush sleeves on my 8.25 axles, RATECH makes a spacer/shim kit to replace it with. Once the pinion bearing pre-load is set its just a matter of torquing the pinion nut to 125 ftlbs and your done. This does require disassembling the differential to install the spacer though.

Spacer is on the left, crush sleeve is on the right. I personnaly do not like crush sleeves.

P1020146.jpg

In answer to your question, the best way to get it close is to mark the nut in relation to the pinion tailshaft and do your best to hit that mark when you tighten the nut back down. Dont forget the Locktight, I use the blue 242.

According to the fsm, 200-350ft-lbs. I helped my buddy with his dana 35 and it took about 280 to get the 25in-lb to spin the yoke. I replaced my leaky pinion seal a couple weeks ago and went about a 1/20-1/16 turn past original nut location and now one of the bearings is complaining. Since I gotta fix it sometime in the near future, anyone have a set of 4.10s for the 8.25 laying around(might as well change while I'm in there)?

Back