• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Routing air intake thru cowl noise?

REDDOGG.XJ

Fire up the roof.
For those of you that routed your air intake thru the cowl, how loud was it?

not bad at all. I have a K&N cone filter mounted inside my cowl. You can hear it sucking slightly if you have the radio, a/c off, and are not moving. Road noise by far outweighs any sound the intake makes.

I didn’t want to put the filter in there just tap it for the filter canister. Some say not bad some say it’s very loud. I guess it’s what your used too.

jeepster_259
Do you still have your carpet?

my buddy has the filter in the cowl (under the wipers) and its rather loud. loud compared to stock, it got my attention the first time I was in it... but only when you hit the gas. once your at speed its not noticable at all.

if your just running a tube to the cowl, and the tube to the stock air box (quasy snorkel mod) then I doubt it'd be much louder than stock at all.

Yours drives quiet enough to hear that?
Between the muds, the Red Bull cans rattling around on the floor, the lack of carpet or back seats, the exhaust, the loose dash panel, the chirping CV joint, and the suspension... I can hardly hear a siren behind me.

Between not having carpet right now, the exhaust leak, and the tires I really don’t need any more noise. A friend and I took it on a run too look at some tractors about 50 miles west of Cincinnati this week which was about nine hours road time @ 70- 80 mph and that was enough. It’s what you get used to; normally I don’t drive much past 65 and short trips. The next day my buddy who drives a soft-top TJ said, “you know that soft top really doesn’t seem that loud now.”

Why would it be any different? You think the sound is from the air being pulled through the filter part?
Billy

for one, ya, I know just switching to a cone intake made more noise under the hood for me.

for two, instead of a pipe to the cone,
there would be the stock routing, the air box, then some more pipe to the cowl... so a little more restriction, maybe more turbulence, but less air speed, less noise... I would think.

also the filter that my buddy has under the wipers is rather small. seemed maybe 2.5" tube as opposed to 3"... so it could just be the engine is sucking that much harder, creating more noise.

I know I picked up quite a bit of noise when I went to a cone filter, now I plan on using a canister from a land rover. The filter being in a housing muffles the noise from the restriction of the filter.

I don’t have a picture but here are a couple of links, the second one is for a Jaguar, which is very similar. Looking at the part #’s for the elements they look very close. The Jag being for a late 70’s the Rover for early ninety’s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rang...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagu...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

MXBoy11
One day I woke up and I was old. Damnedest thing I never saw it coming, though I think other people new before me.

Between the muds, the Red Bull cans rattling around on the floor, the lack of carpet or back seats, the exhaust, the loose dash panel, the chirping CV joint, and the suspension... I can hardly hear a siren behind me.

Between not having carpet right now, the exhaust leak, and the tires I really don’t need any more noise.

Couldn't help but laugh when I read that.
Guess this is one of those half empty/half full things.

Here's mine.
HPIM0188.jpg

HPIM0187.jpg

No noticeable noise difference. JIM.

Here's mine.
HPIM0188.jpg

HPIM0187.jpg

No noticeable noise difference. JIM.

I have been thinking of doing this exact mod and had been curious too, about the sound. From what you are saying Jim, no real difference, correct? It sounds (no pun intended) that if you put a cone filter in the cowl, THEN it is noisy.

Good to know.

I freaking love my setup. I've dunked my jeep through 4 1/2 feet of water, to the point that it flowed over the hood, with no ill effects.

jeeeeep008.jpg

jeeeeep009.jpg

Back