• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj coolant leak help?

davidhaskin1

NAXJA Forum User
So i pulled into work this morning, and my coworker told me an hour later that i have a huge puddle of coolant under my jeep. i started it up and it was leaking pretty steadily and dripping out of the rear cover/ bell housing. i haven't begun to tear it apart yet, but i was just wondering if there was any common areas to look in the rear for a coolant leak. Any suggestions would be great!

First thing to check is the frost/freeze plugs on the block and head.

There is one in the head, there are 2 in the back of the block behind the bellhousing, One of them is 2", the other is 2 9/16". One on the back of the block is for coolant, the other for the camshaft/oil. The other three are along the side just under the intake manifold.

i am currently pulling the trans to get at the freeze plug on the back of the block. I've never pulled a trans on a xj: is it easy enough to pull the transfer case with the tranny or do them separate?

Back