• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Swap

codysown

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 Cherokee with a bad Transfer case and I am looking to swap it out with my parts Cherokee that is a 93. Both are 4.0L Auto with the 231 Transfer cases. are all the shafts going to line up? I would like to be able to put the good one in without having to crack it open and swap shafts around. Any tips on making this go as smoothly as possible?

Thanks in advance for helpful advice. Cody

What years did they change splines? If I new the years I may be able to find something.
I do not know what in my case is bad therefore I would rather swap in a case. I dont know how messed up mine is, so finding one that fits would most likely suit me better.

Cody

The spline count changed in 1990/91, AFAIK. The 4.0's got a 23-spline unit, and the 4-banger equipped XJ's have a 21-spline.

I could be wrong though, but this is what I've been able to find.

:)

Can someone tell me what exactly these changes were, and what would need to be changed out? Will this bolt up to my transmission but I would need a different yolk? Or do I need to change out the input shaft?

Cody

What year is your Jeep? Auto, or stick?

The bolt patterns are the same for the NP-231 & NP-242, and the part that changed spline count is the transmission output shaft/t-case female input.

:)

There are also several (three?) different input shaft lengths on the t-cases once you get the spline count sorted out. Might want to pull the one you've got and verify, then go shopping for the replacement.

One caveat on internet rebuilt units - I ordered one, it showed up, I went to put it in and the stud bolts on the front of the new case were about a quarter inch shorter than the original. Problem was, I needed that extra length on two of them on the passenger side - I ended up removing it the next day, putting the old one back in and sending the rebuilt unit back. Royal PITA.

Mark

the spline count changed in 1991 with the HO changes. the vacuum disconnect on the NP231 for the front axle was also eliminated in 1991. basically if you have a stock 1990 XJ, you need a 231 transfer case from that era.

I have a 88-90 parts manual that shows the transfer case was changed for the 1990 model year in Oct 89. I can't tell from that manual if that was the change to 23 spline or not. It doesn't show a change of the transmission output shaft so I think the change was probably after the 90 model year. Which would match what ehall said.

Back