• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank Case Breather

I found one at a parts store that would fit in the grommet. However I didn't use it long as any blowby oil ends up all over the engine.

dont know thought it would be 1 less thing running across the engine
that's a crappy reason to get rid of emissions equipment

Stupid ricers used to think it was cool because they had the filters in different colors and they matched there short ram intakes.

Beyond looking cool they do nothing and make the sittuations way worse on some engines. Honda engines didnt seem to care to much other then some blow-by catch.

Now heres were the real starts and the bull shit ends.

The PCV valve or (Positive crank case ventilation) is there for a reason.

A.) it helps collect blow-by thus making a cleaner engine bay and cleaner running engine.

B.) aswell it VENTS the smoke and burnt up nastys rising inside the crank case and valve cover. This being the main reason people love sea foam so much. It helps get rid of the carbon build up that occurs from these events.

C.) Controls Carbon build up in the first place by Venting the crank case with *POSITIVE airflow.

Now you know and dont want a mini filter.:looser:

J/k

As an engine runs, high-pressure gases are contained within the combustion chamber and prevented from passing into the crankcase (containing the crankshaft and other parts) between the side of the piston and the cylinder bore by piston rings which seal against the cylinder. However, some amount of gas always leaks past the piston rings into the crankcase. This amount is very small in a new or properly rebuilt engine, provided that the piston rings and cylinder walls are correctly "broken in", and increases as the engine wears. Scratches on the cylinder walls or piston rings, such as those caused by foreign objects entering the engine, can cause large amounts of leakage. This leaked gas is known as blow-by because the pressure within the cylinders blows it by the piston rings. If this blow-by gas could not escape then pressure would build up within the crankcase.
Before the invention of Crankcase Ventilation in 1928 the engine oil seals were designed to withstand this pressure, oil leaking to the ground was accepted and the dipstick was screwed in. The hydrocarbon rich gas would then diffuse through the oil in the seals into the atmosphere. Subsequently, it became an emissions requirement as well as a functional necessity that the crankcase has a ventilation system. This must maintain the crankcase at slightly less than atmospheric pressure and recycle the blow-by gas back into the engine intake. However, due to the constant circulation of the oil within the engine, along with the high speed movement of the crankshaft, an oil mist is also passed through the PCV system and into the intake. The oil is then either burnt during combustion or settles along the intake tract, causing a gradual build-up of residue inside the inlet path. For this reason many engine tuners choose to replace the PCV system with an oil catch can and breather filter which vents the blow-by gases directly to atmosphere and retains the oil in a small tank (or returns it to the sump), although this technically fails to meet most engine emission legislation.

1. It collects blow by by burning some of the oil vaper but it usualy coats your intake, TB, and your Intake runners with oil (the reason Sea Foam is used) It took me 3+ hours using 3 cans of bake cleaner, TB cleaner and 1 gallon of Simple green to clean my intake from oil crap that was coated over the past 160K miles on the intake. Some how I think venting the oil vapor works better for me.

2. If you have a blow-by problem you have motor problems. The only time you need positive flow if in two cases. 1, you have a high HP motor and the amount of pressure you could potently make would be to high to just NA (naturally aspirate) into the air you run a special oil separator on the line that will keep a small vac on the crank case while keep oil out of your intake. 2, you use it because with out a vac on the crank case you have oil leaks. in that case you should replace the seal and not hide the problem.

ITG a well known filter company that makes some of the best Foam filters in the market when buying there full kits they provide you with a special little vent filter (no its not some color of the rainbow to match the black/gray main filter) to use since there kit is designed that way.

Ideally the oil separator is the best option but at $50+ it is usually the cheaper option to put a $10 elbow filter on

The only reason it is there is for emissions, the government wants any and all vapors coming out of the motor to come out and through the Catalytic converter.

I did not think it was a big deal i thought it was as simple as taking it from the main filter and putting the breather on the valve cover my bronco used to have a silver one right on one side of the valve cover. Seems you would just be replacing one filter with another

My plastic breather tube was broken so I sealed the tube to the air cleaner and ran a hose from the valve cover to a generic chrome breather. I didn't really want to pump hot air and oil into the intake and the engine seemed a little happier this way.

The airs going the other direction. The crank case and or valve cover are having it sucked out basicly, depending on how you look at it, it could be sucking or blowing. But the correct way is its being sucked out of the valve cover. so with out the connection air in the case stays stagnant or static.

If you get what im saying.

Just adding a filter wont change that you need the positive vent from the connection it self.

you will get positive flow from the pressure in the crank case just naturally leaving the valve cover.

Your Jeep (all things else in good condition) with not run any any better or worse by putting a vent on there.

Edit: You just want to keep pressure build up from occurring in the crank case other wise you will have you seals start leaking on you. The seals are designed just not to have pressure. So if the Crank case is at normal atmosphere (using a little elbow filter) or having a slight Vac on it (using the stock tubing to tie into the intake).

If you have oil leaks now you may have more of a leak since the crank case holds a small vac when connected to the intake so it "holds" the oil in.

Last edited:
Thats why we ask questions on here rite I thought it sucked air into the crank case I was just asking for advice no need for people to get all nasty about it

Thats why we ask questions on here rite I thought it sucked air into the crank case I was just asking for advice no need for people to get all nasty about it

Well, just think of it like this. You can take the cap off your valve cover with the engine running and there's no discernable suction. If there is, it's very slight. That hose runs to your intake. Now we all know that when you push the gas pedal down, that generates suction at that end. The intake is going to generate far more suction than that crankcase would :)

Well I am not going to say it does anything good or bad (emissions wise), I bought the K&N breather cause when I bought my Jeep it was broken at the plastic elbow at the valve cover.

My Jeep runs good, smooth, kinda looks cool with the little K&N on the top and I don't have any nasty oil seeping int my air filter or air intake like I see on many Jeeps.

tl:dr... this is all you need to know...

I found one at a parts store that would fit in the grommet. However I didn't use it long as any blowby oil ends up all over the engine.

also, napa has the primo oem replacement hardware once your ready to actually fix the problem.

Back