• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 4.0 motor in 96?

macg4321

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ with a 4.0. It has about 215,000 miles on it and is on its last leg. I have an oppertunity to get a free motor from a 01. I am aware that the electrical system components will have to be switched over along with the intake most likey, but other than that will the motor work in my 96? Im mostly worried about the distributor gear on the cam matching going from a cam pickup to an acutal distributor. Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

Do you have access to the computer out of the '01? if that's the case, everything should work alright. The only things I can think of off the top of my head are just optional accessories on the vehicle, and the mounting points of those. You will have to move some little stuff here and there, but if you have the intelligence to swap the motor, then you should figure out those small things pretty swiftly. Someone else can elaborate on it...

Back