• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!

what is the little yellow tabs covering in the engine bay of a 1987 jeep cherokee, there right under the coolant resivor,please help quick
My recollection is that these are the diagnostic connector sockets. It takes a special (hard to find, don't even think of trying to find one at retail) serial real time diagnostic setup. No stored codes either, by the way.

Various people have hoped to reverse-engineer the serial output (5-90 being one, I think) but I haven't heard of any success.

hmmmm... this piques my interest, anyone have a fried PCM I could attempt to reverse engineer? I can probably at least figure out the pinout though the line protocol may be beyond me.

If not, I'll have to see if I can pick one up for cheapish at a junkyard.

hmmmm... this piques my interest, anyone have a fried PCM I could attempt to reverse engineer? I can probably at least figure out the pinout though the line protocol may be beyond me.

If not, I'll have to see if I can pick one up for cheapish at a junkyard.
You might want to PM 5-90, because I think he's at least meditated on this, and probably knows the pinouts.

The pin outs for the ECU and the two yellow cover sample ports are detailed in the FSMs, 87-90. Need a copy, just PM me with an email addy.

Back