• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard to start and dies after idleing for about 15 minutes or more

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this just started. Oh and I searched. I found similair issues but not same.

So it is hard to start the engine. When it starts I can drive everywhere.

When I say hard I mean the engine is turning and every now and then you here it. Struggle.

After abbout 5 minutes off trying it finally starts.

Now I figured I would let it idle and see what happens.

Well I went inside for a little 15 minutes later I check it and it dies.

I try to start it and it take about 2 minutes instead. This time I wait and it dies at 15 minutes.

So on the third try I let it get close to dieing but if I give it gas its good.

What do I do??

Hallo. The same issue I had a few years ago.
It was the ignition coil, when became hot it failed.
Maybe a shot in the dark, but.....:spin1:
A CPS sensor is doing often the same after heating up, it will give problems sometimes.
Did you test the fuelpressure? Maybe there is some problem with the fuelpump relay or the ballast resistor.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Sounds like the Crank Position Sensor CPS that is located at about the 11 o'clock position on the tranny side of the bell housing. It will have a connector that comes up near the MAP sensor rear center of the firewall. with a Multi-meter on the Ohms setting (the one with the omega symbol) the reading accross the two wires should be 200 ohms with 75 ohms tolerance. So 125 - 275 ohms some where in there should be fine. If it is below or above that then it is shot and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately this is a rather common item to fail in these older renix rigs. I had replaced one and then the wire contacted the manifold and shorted to ground.

Ground: This is another huge one with the renix years. do your self a favor and replace your chassis and engine ground straps. normally it goes from the battery to the engine at the dipstick then to the chassis on the firewall. If you add an addtional straight to the chassis and one to near the alternator then it will pay off in the long run. if you have the braid style strapping throw it out and replace it. ensure that all your ground connections are mechanically strong by pulling on the end it should not seperate or it is bad and that the location that they are contacting is clean metal no rust or corrosion. if you are not interested in making your own 5-90 makes them and sells a real sweet kit.

Having a renix you should also get a copy of the renix manual and a multi-meter if you do not already have one. they make it alot easier. let me know if you need help finding it I can hook you up. also check out the Renix files on here it is an excellent resource that just takes time to go through.

Cheers

ok so i took the old sensor off. then i did the mod to the new one. i got all put together.

it was still a little hard to start but it started and much sooner.

then i took it for a test drive. it was nice to drive it again.

now for the bad and for the help needed again.

so if i give it throttle it feels like the engne is bucking. not sure if that is knocking?

when i drive it i cant go faster then 15mph. and if a hills envolved i am screwed. i try to give it throttle and it starts to buck and pop.

what is wrong? i this sensor bad? is it possible that it is not seated correctly since it now slided on.

is something else wrong now?

help help help

ok so i took the old sensor off. then i did the mod to the new one. i got all put together.

it was still a little hard to start but it started and much sooner.

then i took it for a test drive. it was nice to drive it again.

now for the bad and for the help needed again.

so if i give it throttle it feels like the engne is bucking. not sure if that is knocking?

when i drive it i cant go faster then 15mph. and if a hills envolved i am screwed. i try to give it throttle and it starts to buck and pop.

what is wrong? i this sensor bad? is it possible that it is not seated correctly since it now slided on.

is something else wrong now?

help help help

Just curious, which damn sensor did you MOD?

The CPS sensor is a Bit#h to replace.so what people do is they just cut enough off of each mounting hole so it can be slid on and off for easy replacement.

i will check all the other sensors.

I know what you mean about teh TPS. i have replaced that, it isnt doing the same thing as what happen when the TPS went bad.

Back