• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

window lock stuck locked?

MahnkenVille

NAXJA Forum User
This used to be an intermittent problem that could be fixed with a bump to the driver's door around the window controls. It now seems to be permanently stuck in the locked mode of the window lock, no matter if the switch is depressed or not. I read a writeup on how to fix, by connecting the tan and yellow wires in the harness under the kick panel, but after having $600 of wiring work done (electrical problem caused by best buy- had to get a whole new harness.), i'm not sure I want to mess with my wiring. Is there an easier (read: safer) way to fix this problem?

it's a 97 with about 188,000 on the clock.

thanks in advance!

Yes. Assuming the switch is bad, you can replace the switch. Most choose the splice since it's little to no cost.

If the problem is a break in the wiring, then you have no choice.

Hallo. I had last month in France, also the problem with my windows.
The fuse of the radio was broken. (15 A). Strange that the fuse of the radio is related with the windows. Typical Jeep.
haha:roflmao:

p.s. my wires for the windows are always hot. So I can use them without the key in the ignition. Very easy!!

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Have the same problems also the auto down is dead that the rolling up the drivers window it doesn't stop when the is rolled up and you can hear the gears grinding.

pull the door panel and just solder the wires from the window lock together? sounds easy enough. How do I get to the switch wires? I tried unscrewing the 3 screws on the switch panel but that didn't do anything. I can pry up one side of the top of the switches (the black cover) but the other side doesn't pry, and it's not enough to even get a finger in.

Once the handle is unscrewed you can pull the front of it away from the panel enough to get at the connector chunk. It's held on with six spring clips, 3 on top and 3 on bottom. However if you drop one of the clips its gone forever so be really careful.

You can also disconnect the two rods from the handle piece so that you can pull the whole assembly out of the door. The rods are held in place with L-shaped end hooks that slip into rotator clips. For each rod, rotate the clip away from the panel and then pull the rod down and out of the clips.

After much thought, even though it was fixed, I decided not to use a paper clip. I just can't justify more melted wires and possibly another complete electrical overhaul, especially if i'd have to pay for this one. I'm gonna take some wire and jump the two.

Is it 16ga wire? any specific type?

Also, do I connect the two with a wire, and leave the two ends still plugged into the white harness?

Don't use those... on anything. They are a temporary solution that has a tendency to short out and start fires.

Since when? I've used these for years.

Pity your luck has been so bad. I have no hesitation using them or recommending them.

Back