• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identify that leak and sound

HQuakers

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm a complete newb to Jeeps and 4x4s, and while under the car I noticed a slow leak or seeping coming from the front diff. where the driveshaft enters. No fluid is on the ground or dripping. I wasn't sure what this is called where it's coming from, or I would have searched on Naxja here for leaks at this location:

P8050148.jpg

P8050145.jpg

Also, I am getting an oscillating-type noise from the front end as well. This occurs at all speeds, but is louder when I'm driving faster (especially 65mph on the highway). It sounds similar to an unbalanced tire (which it could be), but I'm not sure if it's related to the leak above. I have two videos. First shows me rotating the driveshaft, but no back-and-forth play at all. Second is me driving...towards the end you can hear it a little bit over the tire noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svjhg12axXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtwQckZa6JM

Thanks in advance for any help :roll:

Pinion seal

So I opened up the diff tonight and filled it back up with Lucas gear oil. Took about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of fluid, so it wasn't extremely low. Man does that stuff smell. Anyway, took it for a little ride and it seems like the noise is a little less, but I won't be able to really tell until I get it on the highway tomorrow. Thanks again for the help everyone.

front pinion seal as everyone else said... from what I've read you'll want a second person with a large monkey wrench or something to hold the yoke still while you remove the pinion nut. After that it's a pretty fast repair, there are threads in the FAQ section with the full walkthrough on doing this.

You might want to fix the busted shock as well - I've not been under my jeep in a few days, but I don't remember there being a horizontal shock absorber anywhere near the rear axle... (to the right of the pumpkin above the axle in the second picture).

Take care of that seal before it takes the whole axle out on you. I had an F350 that had a bad pinion seal, cost me the ring & pinion, bearings, etc.

Mark

front pinion seal as everyone else said... from what I've read you'll want a second person with a large monkey wrench or something to hold the yoke still while you remove the pinion nut. After that it's a pretty fast repair, there are threads in the FAQ section with the full walkthrough on doing this.

Hallo. Here is a nice one.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/SRpinionSeals/PinionSeals.htm

Take care to make marks on the shaft, the yoke and the pinion axle and the nut.(1. 1/8")
I count also the amount of threads ,to take care the nut is exactly on the same place as it was before. 210 ft/pounds torque!
You will need a big wrench. LOL

'92 XJ

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Hallo. Mark. It is the steering damper. But it is leaking! :roll:

Yes, steering damper. I know I have to fix that, but I want to get the diff. fixed first.

So the fill didn't do anything for the noise. I don't hear it out of the right side of the jeep but I do out of the left. I really don't think it's the diff. making the noise. I am going to check the wheel bearing and maybe get the tire balanced to see if it goes away.

I got curious today and put my spare 31 on the front left to see if the noise goes away. I took it for a test drive and the noise is gone...just smooth driving. So, the oscillating issue seems to be with the wheel. I am going to get it rebalanced tomorrow.

I'm also gonna get the pinion seal fixed at the shop. I was thinking of doing it myself, but it's so damn hot and humid outside that I can't bear being under the Jeep for an extended period of time. I'd also find a way to screw it up knowing me. I'm fine with any normal repairs, but drivetrains scare me.

Had wheels rebalanced, noise still there. Guy at the tire shop said it's the tires (my spare is a slightly different BFG mud-terrain tire..might explain the non-noise). He said tires also have some cracking and will need to be replaced soon. Since the problem wasn't fixed, he didn't charge me for the balancing, which is cool.

Pinion seal is fixed now, though I will need a new pinion soon since there is a tiny bit of play in it.

Had wheels rebalanced, noise still there. Guy at the tire shop said it's the tires (my spare is a slightly different BFG mud-terrain tire..might explain the non-noise). He said tires also have some cracking and will need to be replaced soon. Since the problem wasn't fixed, he didn't charge me for the balancing, which is cool.

Pinion seal is fixed now, though I will need a new pinion soon since there is a tiny bit of play in it.

If the pinion has play at the driveshaft yoke it's probably the bearings. Small consolation, as you'll essentially have to get the axle "set up" to change them, but on the bright side you'll save the cost of a ring & pinion set if you do it soon. If you wait you'll probably toast the new seal from the movement. On the other bright side, if you are looking to regear, you'll be half way there.

Mark

If the pinion has play at the driveshaft yoke it's probably the bearings. Small consolation, as you'll essentially have to get the axle "set up" to change them, but on the bright side you'll save the cost of a ring & pinion set if you do it soon. If you wait you'll probably toast the new seal from the movement. On the other bright side, if you are looking to regear, you'll be half way there.

Mark

I'm assuming it's at the yoke...mechanic didn't say. So I should get something like this Axle Differential Rebuild Kit?: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52419_53.htm That's good news (I think the ring/pinion are still good) as I'd rather not redo everything at this point.

Bringing this back real quick. My left front tire is cupping (pretty sure). Should I check the ball joint or alignment first i.e. which would likely cause only one tire to cup and not the other side?

Nevermind...went out and looked today and both fronts are cupped really bad. Kinda interesting how it looks. I'll be checking my ball joints, track bar, and alignment before I put on new BFG M/T 31s.

Taking it to the shop to have them look at it...they are familiar with cupping so they will know what to do.

For future reference if anyone wants pictures, here are some pictures of the cupping...

Normal:

P8260161.jpg

P8260162.jpg

Cupped:

P8260163.jpg

P8260164.jpg

Back