• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banging in rf of xj

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I get an annoying banging noise in the rf of my jeep , mostly on slight washboard or bumpy gravel roads. Cant figure it out. Sounds like a loose shock,dead shock or hammered out ball joints.
Its a 4dr with re 4.5 springs, drop brackets and bds adjustable uppers and lowers (jamb nuts tight), 5125 bilsteins,brand new ball joints,brand new re hd tracbar. I have gone over absolutely eveything to make sure nothings loose,etc. Wondering if it could just be the bds flex joints causing the noise? any other suggestions? I must be overlooking something.

noise was there before and after shock replacement, and occurs with the sway bar connected or disconnected

Last edited:
I used to have an odd bang... but I didn't have a battery tie down for the longest time... battery = front right and about 40lbs, that bouncing up and down can make some noise.

Can you grease your flex joints?
You mentioned BJ's but have you checked them for play?
My front axle shaft u-joints are gone and they thump like a motherF'r too, but they are inconsistant, depends how fast I travel, 90kph and I get the thump thump thump constantly, accelerate to 100kph and the noise goes anyway/droned out from the MT's

All you can do is start checking the front end...

Edit: re-read new BJ's

I think I have the same problem. It all started when I took the carpet out to clean it, I have this "clack clack" noise that kinda sounds like plastic hitting metal. After I cleaned the carpet and put it back in I still have the noise and can't figure it out. I don't think it's my shocks, I replaced those and it still makes the noise. I was thinking it was the BPEs but probably not, those are a tight fit.

Are you using urethane upper shock mounts? ive found the urethane is too hard and likes to melt and fall apart pretty quickly.

ball joints tight, flex joints greased regularily, bushings are whatever came with the bilsteins (connected to jks shock conversion) whick are torqued and tight.

Back