• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a new Engine ?

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 Cherokee needs a new engine.
I'm thinking of getting a used engine, because a new one is $1800
I can find whole Cherokee's for under $1,000
So my question is;
What years should I be considering ?
From what year to what year

Look for a '99 motor. The 99 intake is larger and worth a few more ponies. You will also need the power steering pump/bracket for the 99 intake. Should be able to find a low mileage nice motor from a local junkyard. My locals are about $450 for a '99 complete with 65K on the clock.

Look for a '99 motor. The 99 intake is larger and worth a few more ponies. You will also need the power steering pump/bracket for the 99 intake. Should be able to find a low mileage nice motor from a local junkyard. My locals are about $450 for a '99 complete with 65K on the clock.

PS pump brackets are the same from 96 to 01 on the XJ.

Any HO will work, just gotta swap over a few things.

Given the choice, I think an early 99 (before they changed the head design) would be a good choice. I certainly have had good luck with mine. Among other things, it's the first XJ I've ever had that did not leak!

The local JY want over $1,100 for a used motor, regardless of
the mileage on it :(
How old of a motor can I go, I will use all my accessories

Just check for the head part number. I think during '99, they changed to the 0331 head, which is notorious for cracking. This is a large cast in number on the manifold side of the top surface.

wow for that price ide see if i could find 1 within a 4 or 5 hour drive even. You still may come out cheaper in the long run that way. Or buy 1 of those 1000 buck cherokees and swap the motor save whatever parts u know u will break and scrap the rest to get some of your money back. Best thing this way u can test drive the motor before u install it.

i see used motors on craigslist regularly for 300-400$, i just sold a 92 motor with 175xxx miles,just smogged with all the accessories except the AC pump for 400$ off of craigslist.

It has a ton of small area listings in nor cal. redding, yubacity, chico,etc.. dont limit it to the sacto board.

Well I have desided to have my Local guy rebuild my engine.
He has been doing Machining for me for about 30 years, so I trust him to do a great job.

Back