• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar High performace Oil Pump

matt6669

NAXJA Member # 1602
Well its time to replace the rear main seal and I figure while I am in there, I might as well do the oil pump along with the pan gasket since I gotta take the pan off anyway.

Anyway I was looking into getting the Mopar high performance oil pump except it says I need to modify my oil pan. Has anyone installed this part yet and to which extent do you have to modify.

Thanks
M

if it's like the melling high volume pump the body of the pump is taller so it sticks down from the block further. I ended up cutting part of an interior baffle out and pounding the pan itself outward where it was contacting the pump. put a bit of clay on the pump and push the pan in place to check the clearance.

fwiw, if I was doing this again I'd probably save the $ and get a regular oil pump unless I was racing or doing other high rpm activity. These things go several 100k miles on a stock pump under half-way normal conditions which should tell us the stock pump is adequate.

357509033_cac805603b_o.jpg

yeah now see that doesn't look like much fun at all. The only reason I was looking at this pump is b/c it comes with a new neck and screen assembly whereas the mellings on summit do not. Hmmm

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I made that mistake too: HV pump with pickup was $20 cheaper than buying the regular pump and separate pickup. Clearancing the pump and the 258 crank to fit the girdle wasn't fun.

The Mopar HV pump IS the Melling HV. There is no need for the HV pump anyhow unless you have some oil flow modifications or some other issuse you are trying to cover up.

Northern Auto Parts has the standard volume Melling M81A for like $44.

Back