• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj won't start!

RANSOM

NAXJA Forum User
My xj won't start. Its a 2000... engine and electronics are completely stock. 4x4, 4.0 lt., auto.

Here's the what happen. For the past year I've had an intermittent stumble when hot. It happened maybe once every 2 months. The engine warm. turn the key. stumble stumble stumble. You take off and its fine. No smoke, no back fire.

So today it ran fine as usual. I drove it around all day with not even 1 glitch. I come home for dinner... Shut it off. I came out 45 min later and nothing. It cranks and cranks. Now, the guages don't register, the fuel pump won't prime (I jumped out the fuel pump and it DOES work.)

So I cycled the key 3 times and (where the odometer is) it reads "no bus". I hooked a snap-on Diagnotic computer to it. And It says there's no comunication with the PCM. Its never been under water. All connections are clean.

Has anyone had this problem?
Does the PCM need to be replaced???

CPS, Crank shaft position censor, It tells the coil when to send a spark its a really common problem. Its located on the tranny bell housing

My 2000 has the same starting problems with the exact symptons. I let it sit 6 days while out of town and now nothing. Charging the battery overnight, but not too secure with it...Anybody have ideas?

edited: just did a search and will try pulling fuses with a multimeter attempting to isolate the drain tomorrow but any other ideas welcome!

Last edited:
remat said:
My 2000 has the same starting problems with the exact symptons. I let it sit 6 days while out of town and now nothing. Charging the battery overnight, but not too secure with it...Anybody have ideas?

edited: just did a search and will try pulling fuses with a multimeter attempting to isolate the drain tomorrow but any other ideas welcome!

Don't know if it will be helpful to anyone else but my starting problem was from a worn ground cable to the battery. Snipped it off and replaced it with a new terminal and viola starts perfectly!

regards

Back