• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 Carrier Removal

mallcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to remove the carrier out of a non C-clip dana 35. I have the diff cover off and when I pull on it, it only moves a little. Does it have a retaining screw like the c-clip version. I did search by the way but all the info was for the C-clip dana 35. Any help will be appreciated

as in you have the axle shafts, caps, and bolts out/off and you're trying to pull the carrier assembly out of the rear end? try putting the trans in neutral and turning the driveshaft by hand. the pinion gear should "push" the carrier right out, if nothing else is still holding it in. just BE READY to catch it as it pops out.

I thought that the axle shafts had to come out, a guy that is supposed to know a lot about these told me that they didnt I thought that sounded a little strange. Anyway how do I remove them being as there is no C-clip?

Remove the axle shafts.

Match-mark and remove the carrier bearing caps & screws.

Take a clean rag, and start feeding it in between the ring & pinion teeth.

Twist the rag, then slowly turn the pinion while holding on to the carrier.

The carrier will pop right out

thanks guys, the guy that I talked to said that all I had to do was take of the caps that hold in the carrier assembly and it would come right out. I thought that was a little odd because if it came out that easy the axles wouldnt be hooked up.

Yeah, there's a lot of yahoo's out there that think they're a mechanic just because they own a box of wrenches and they change their own oil.

You did right. Trust your gut feeling. If it sounds not quite right it probably isn't.

Checking NAXJA is a good choice. :thumbup:

Back