• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't recharge a/c new 134A Kit....help!!

Lostman

NAXJA Forum User
Hello gang,
I just put a new retro kit on my '89 Cherokee and after all the research realized I've done everything that I can to get it to fill but it won't take the freon. I've used two difference hoses and even taken off the low side connector off the compressor to make sure the valve was opening up so that it would take the charge.

I'm at a loss for things to try, my only thought right now is that the new adapter schrader valve for the R134A isn't letting the freon through it.
Any ideas?
It was 115 in AZ today and I really need A/C!!!

Do you have a schraeder valve tool? If so, you should be able to remove the inner stem of the valve and just have an open port. We don't need schraeder valves on our XJs since they have the service valves. You're probably right that that is your problem. You can get the tools at any bike shop.

That is one thing I didn't think about doing. I have several of them around since I have a tire changer. I'll try that tomorrow after work and see if it can be removed.
Thanks, sometimes it just needs someone that isn't pissed off by the situation to think about things a little differently!

You seem to know what you are doing but I will ask anyway: You aren't by chance opening the service valve more than a turn or so and thereby closing it at the other extreme. Just thought I would ask since it has happened before.

Otherwise removing the Schroeder valve, if doable, should fix your problem but as an alternative, you could just remove it and see if air/134a flows through. If not, a replacement adapter fitting is cheap and readily available.

If your adapter is a 90*, you have to remove the factory schaeder core. I believe that most of the adapters are stand alone. It's been a while since I have converted one over.

Ok, I figured it out. Turns out it was a faulty retro valve that came with the kit. I took it back to Autozone today and they replaced the entire kit.
Still not completely cold but blowing at 52 Degrees when it is 117 out isn't too bad comparatively I suppose.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Back