• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch fan rubbing radiator, help, event this weekend.

eleduardok

NAXJA Forum User
well I solved my cooling problems with a 3row radiator, and it fit perfect. Did motor mounts at same time, water pump, fan clutch, belt, thermostat ect... The NAPA fan clutch had some tabs on the front but fit fine... After a week, fan clutch tabs starting rubbing the banding on the radiator, and I been driving easy, as it only happens when torqued from the line. I replaced tranny/rear motor mount 2 days ago, no help, then tonight, put on a OEM fan clutch, and same problem.
Any ideas? the radiator is supposed to be same size and fits like OEM. Anyone had this problem with a 3 row? Got a big event this weekend, and got to solve this.
Thanks for ANY input, Ed

I am really stumped here... I will try and pull radiator even further forward tonight... I have a IFWDA run this weekend, and this killing me...new eveything, and it didnt hit for first 2 weeks after radiator install..... I have changed everything I can think of...

I feel for ya. I've been trying to think of a way to help, but it sounds like you have tried just about everything. I have a similar setup on my 96 (CSF 3 row, new OEM fan clutch) and haven't had any issues yet and I am still running all original motor mounts and tranny mount.

This is a dumb question, I'm sure, because I haven't done the motor mounts, but is there a way to install them incorrectly that might have the motor sitting forward? Maybe you could drill new holes more forward in that top crossmember to at least tilt the top of the radiator. I'm grasping at straws. :dunno:

Eric

-There are more than one height of fan clutch, Take the fan clutch into a Jeep Dealer and set it on the counter beside a 'Real' MOPAR Fan clutch and check the heights.

-Compare to another jeep - measured distance of the Engine to: firewall, radiator, etc. to see if its engine moved or what.?

(Both of above should only be a short time involved hopefully)

Good Luck,
O

Just follow the MOJO cheromanche. When he goes over the good stuff take the bypass route. You will be fine..

Lets bust the tabs off the NAPA one and put it back on..

well, the OEM Mopar one rubs too, will take it back off tonight, take tabs off napa, and see about lepulling radiator forward even more, not much room though. Unfortunately I now have a pinhole in my new 3row, but not bad... Gonna retorque motor mounts, and compare the situation to one of the other XJs in the Mojo stable... Thanks

Well, I moved radiator 3/4" forward on top, where the rub was, and put on NAPA clutch minus the tabs. Still rubs under lots of torque, looks like the 2 month old NAPA motor mounts are flexing WAY too much. COuld they have worn out in 2 months before I did rear mount? Either way, I am going to ask them to warranty them, and change out tomorrow before we leave friday morning. Motor seems to twist WAY too much and I can see it raise in the rubber of the front 2 mounts... Hope it does the trick, if not, I will get poly mounts or OEM motor mounts and figure this mess out. what a pita. Ed

Hard to believe that new mounts are flexing that much. Are you sure the brackets are tight to the block?

The 3 core is a bit wider. The mounts and overall dimensions are the same but the core itself is wider. Still, many run the 3 core with no rub problems.

I would suggest getting the measurments of the napa radiator VS. the stock radiator and see if there is a discrepancy between the 2. As for the motor mount thing I would 100% say get those warrantied out. NAPA and all parts stores have the tendency to carry junk parts from time to time. Infact I put a wheel hub/bearing assembly in my oldsmobile from NAPA and after 1 month it was shot. We get junk parts from NAPA a lot though.

Hard to believe that new mounts are flexing that much. Are you sure the brackets are tight to the block?

The 3 core is a bit wider. The mounts and overall dimensions are the same but the core itself is wider. Still, many run the 3 core with no rub problems.

I said wider but meant thicker.

U should try the M.O.R.E. bombproof motor mounts. Better than OEM but not Poly... FWIW

Yep. My fan was hitting the shroud on acceleration, replaced the worn stock mounts with MORE ones, problem solved. It does seem odd that OEM ones would wear out in only a couple of months, but possible if you wheel it hard.

Well, Napa warrantied them, they looked like the shoddy ones they gave me before, and the 2 were even different out of the box.. Good news is, they are working at the moment, with the radiator move also... I dont count on them to last either, and will get the bombproofs, but at least I will make it to the IFWDA trail run at Wilstem this weekend. Thanks, and I will keep everyine updated on what happens. Ed

Back