• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interesting noises coming from ECTED

Hackmeister

NAXJA Forum User
So the last thing besides little odds and ends for me to figure out before I can be driving my Jeep on the street again is this strange noise coming from the rear end. It's a new locker, new gears, bearings and all that jazz. Wiring is correct and I'm getting 12V to the rear end, when its on and switch is on. I'm not sure how much current its getting since I can't easily wire the multimeter in parallel with the circuit. The jeep makes the same noise in front wheel drive (no rear driveshaft) and rear wheel drive, so there is no difference in if it is under load or not. The noise also goes away going straight, so its only with the differential action. The manual mentions something about residual torque build up that has to be released, but my little alley isn't wide enough to make big sweeping figure eights, and the nearest big parking lot like that is a good distance away so I dont' want to wreck it just getting to a big empty parking lot. Effin Boston.

I'm hoping its just something that will go away with the clutches breaking in, but I'm not going to just assume it is that way and go and grenade the rear end. I made a video with a decent sound byte:

Any suggestions? I'm emailing tech support at Auburn with the video and am calling tomorrow morning to talk to the engineer.

Call the outfit you bought it from. If they cant help call Randys R&P or Rieder racing and the will give you honest, informed, correct answers. They sell lots of diffs and know the products well.

call bob?

i have the LSD additive that came in the box with it. if nothing useful comes out of talking to the engineer tomorrow i'll try to pop the cover off, make sure nothing is all worn and shit, and then i'll try a different brand oil and different brand LSD additive, just to see if that makes a difference. it miiight make a difference there is a bit more htan 2 quarts in it thanks to the ruffstuff, and the locker only came with enough additive for 2 quarts

so i just talked to the engineer at Auburn, and he listened to the sound of my ECTED and supposedly it just sounds like the clutches are a bit tight, probably from manufacturing tolerances, and that its all brand new. he told me to find a big empty parking lot and just do a bunch of big figure eights to start to break in the clutches, and to work the gear oil into the diff and eveyrthing. the d44 ected has a pretty stiff housing supposedly, so there isn't a lot of deflection so the clutches need to break in a bit more easily

Back