• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot Rod Flatz

Baja_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have experiance with hot rod flatz? Im looking at the flat hot rod red for mine but it will be getting sanded off in a year. Im concerned with if it would easily sand off like my laquer primer or not...help?

I used some of that if I'm not mistaken. I painted a 883 sportster Hot Rod Black and it layed out realy nice and the finished product looked great. I can't tell you how it held up because it was a customers bike but it was about equivilant to Dupont Hot Rod Black. I would'nt have any problems using it, and as far as sanding it off as long as it was preped properly you should be able to paint over it.

It's a decent paint. Definitely at the low end of the spectrum, but it IS designed to be budget friendly after all. That being said, it will be a landslide ahead of your laquer primer. Anything that is catalysed has a much stronger molecular structure and will provide a better,stronger,more UV stable, and ultimately longer lasting finish. So HRF will definitely beat out your laquer primer. The one thing I don't really like about it, is that it's single stage and flattened. It would be MUCH easier to work with a basecoat, and then lay down some flattened clear over it. You might want to look into that route. I'm pretty sure HRF even makes a pre-flattened clear. Another tip, pick a color out of the metallic line they offer. It will have a much better appearance in direct sunlight than a solid color, which basically looks like a tinted primer.

I looked into doing basecoat clear but Im tryin to keep the paint that has to be sanded off to a min. so it dont take a week to sand it down. Also, I dont have the time to sand off the laquer before I spray, thats why I have to sand this coat off as well. I have been looking into the metallics, they do look pretty cool

So wait, you're going to be spraying your urethane (HRF) over lacquer primer? That's a big no-no. You risk lifting, peeling, poor adhesion, solvent pop, and all kinds of incompatibility problems. If you're looking to do a cheap job that will only be removed later, stick to spray bomb. Urethane is not very fun to remove.

Well here it is, got done spraying it around 5 hours ago. Im impressed with the way it turned out, Im pleased with the color, just not as red as I had hoped. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the Blood Red instead of the Hot Rod Red just because at certain angles the Hot Rod Red appears to be orange more than red. But non the less Im happy with it. Heres a few pics.

l_a8124fbd12f14e539f7f4d9f2d0422a1.jpg

l_bb6f8436aadb4238a62f0456e18b8a30.jpg

l_b6b54e8005fd47d3b6a12860d3a2b39b.jpg

l_ab564e6d30b4471797ef8cd616ebbaac.jpg

Yeah thats what Im thinking. Ill try getting some re-assembled pics of it in the sun tomorrow

I love the flats to, its actually pretty glossy in person but still obviously not clearcoated enamel. Just a word to the wise for anyone planning to spray a XJ with hot rod flatz, buy a gallon and a quart because they come ready to spray other than mixing hardener and only mixs at 4:1 and is extremely thin. I only had a gallon so I had to go around and spray the gray primered spots where I did body work and get them covered and barely had enough for 2 complete coats.

Looks good! I like it

Back