• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Electrical Problem

Rob Crouch

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy and I are struggling to figure out this electrical problem on a 96 xj. The jeep just died a few weeks ago and wouldn't start. It cranks normally and everything seems to be fine but it wont start. We figured it was probably either no spark or fuel issues. We started by removing the fuel pump wiring harness and checking for power. Sure enough no power is running through to the pump. We checked voltage with the jeep in the run position. Next we checked the fuel pump relay. It makes a clicking sound when connected to 12v, indicating it is good Just to be certian we switched the relay for a good one. still no start.

After serching forums and the Haynes manual we think it could be the Ballist Resistor. It's the only other link we can think of between the pump and the relay. We can't find the stupid thing in the engine compartment. We looked on the firewall and on the drivers side fender. Also I have found a few posts saying a 96 jeep doesn't have a ballist resistor.

So my questions are
1) does a 96 xj have a ballist resistor and if so where is it?
2) can anyone else think of anyother places we are overlooking where we could be loosing power?

Thanks

Crankshaft Position Sensor or CPS / CKS is probably bad.

Just replaced the one in my '96 last week because I knew the fuel pump was fine. I read the engine codes by turning the key on / off four times and counting the Check Engine Light blinks. Do some searching, it's all here.

Back