• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft Question??

Christopher

NAXJA Forum User
I am curently at 8" and have a HP D30 upfront. Spliting my castor angle with pinion angle is not acceptable as the handling becomes extremely unsafe at highway speeds. As oppossed to cutting and rotating the knuckles I am contemplating just running CV joints at both the diff. and xfer case. Are there any reasons why I should not do this, or does it sound like a viable solution?? Thx.

How bad is you pinion angle? Do you hear the u-joint popping? I think there are many who have run 7-8" and have not had trouble getting the caster and pinion angle to balance. What are your numbers, my caster is at 4 degrees and is fine on the highway and I have a LP D30 and about 6.5" lift. I don't hear or have u-joint problems. Are you running a locker and/or a lower geared tcase? Many ?'s :)

Well, Pinion when aligned for drivline angle is about 14 deg. which throws the castor way off (about -5deg). I've tried splitting the differance may times and I end up with either poor handeling or driveline vibes. Can't seem to find a happy medium. Front diff. has an OX locker w/ 4:56 and Xfer case is an ATLAS 4.3:1 rotated and clocked all the way up, actually sits higher than the cross member,(lowering the Xfer case is not an option, I enjoy the extra ground clearance). Just trying to decide if CV is the way to go or if I should consider something else?

You "CANNOT" run dual cv's!!!!

My bad(two days in a row).I didnt beleive that was possible!!!
Need to stop "shootin from the hip"

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
You "CANNOT" run dual cv's!!!!

Hmmm.... why not? Tom Wood sells them...

Multi-DoubleCV.jpg

The whole idea behind dual CV's is to run any angle and extreme angles with short shafts. I know it will work, but I want to know if there is any negative side effects or a better solution without cutting and rotating the knuckles.

Hey you could always go Long-Arm!!!

My pinion points almost directly at the drive shaft.And since my arms are parallel with the driveshaft and almost the same length Im getting almost "Zero" change through-out the travel.And thats with a LP30!

You can only use dual double cardans for low RPM applications. They use that setup on alot of farm implement PTO devices. I guess you could use it if the vehicle never sees more than a slow trail speed (i.e. trailered for trail use only).

Mark

Back