• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Most popular component/part to go out on the trail

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
With the turdy-five out of the question, what are the most common parts to break while out on the trail?

Yes, i agree... noobie question, but honestly, I haven't seen a thread like this on here yet. And a quick search revealed nada.

tire damage or U-joint failure

EDIT: tie rods seem to be a weak point with jeeps as well.

the answers are going to depend a lot on what mods have been made to each rig, and what that rig is used for/on.
u-joints are a given, with u-joints go shafts, go possibly knuckles.

stuff I have seen running moderate type trails is axleshafts, tires, body damage (a given), shocks, exhaust modifications, alternators (in mud or water wheeling), driveshafts etc.

Definitely depends on tire size, lift, etc.

But I would say tires, axle shaft Ujoints (and sometimes the axle shafts go with them), driveshafts, yokes (need to carry spares!!)....basically, drivetrain components that are vulnerable.

ya i would go with steering from my own personal experience.

ya i would go with steering from my own personal experience.

Ill 3x that, seen the tie rods bend like tacos, sometimes you can pull them back with the vehicles own power, sometimes you are screwed.

I usually run out of iced tea. :D

I like this thread....good idea

-fuses, cheap and easy to replace, if you have replacements!!
-fluids, take em' with ya
-Serp. belt, take it with ya

what i have lost on the trail, driving to the trail, or DD (while en route to/from somewhere):

kRustys track bar x3 (one during repair, one on the trail, and another when trying to adjust the tre)
idler pulley
mech fan pulley
serp belt x3 (one for the idler, two for mech fan pulley)
a few fuses
taurus fan motor (seized and caught fire)
ac compressor
ds u joint (was able to limp home on a clunky one)
AW4

things i have seen go out on the trail:
tie rod(s)
axle shafts
axle ujoints (+++)
drive shafts
ds ujoints
winch line
brake lines
radiator/heater hose (pin hole leak)
tc chain
carriers
spider gears
more tie rods
a forceful reduction of fuel capacity
pride

Tires, axle ujoints. I usually bring at least 2 mounted spares to outings now, due to bad experiences with "the only tire place for miles".

My most common breakage has been ujoints and the ears of the shafts along with them. Under that is bending the tierod.

Im curious as to how a ujoint breaking effects balljoints. Can anyone explain please?

Yes the stock tierod is rather simple to bend. I also break alot of rearview mirrors, tho I suppose this thread is about breaking stuff that prevents driving....

My most common breakage has been ujoints and the ears of the shafts along with them. Under that is bending the tierod.

Im curious as to how a ujoint breaking effects balljoints. Can anyone explain please?

a broken u-joint can and has taken out ball joints by rotating mass and shrapnel. the broken joint takes out the shafts ears like you mentioned, but not always a clean break. if there is still enough meat left of the ear that can take out the ball joints- either pushing or pressing the ball joint apart or the shrapnel breaking the exposed portion of the ball joint.

but thats just what i have noticed

Back