• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interior panel removal

stevez

NAXJA Forum User
This looks like the place for a new XJ owner...like me. Can anyone advise me as to the correct way to remove the door panels and especially the hatch panel on my 1991 cherokee laredo? I would like to replace my bum rear wiper motor and, eventually, my broken power antenna (another topic). Thanks in advance

There may be some screws holding the rear panel in; but most of it is just snap type connectors. (Be prepared to break a few while removing it)
If you can locate one of the snaps you can pull straight out on either side of the snap type connector with your hands, use something they like to call a "trim stick" or perhaps a rigid putty knife on either side of the snaps and pull/pry. Be sure to check well for screws, cause they like to hide them in the carpeting on the panel. Door panels are similar, but these definately have screws in them. (Like for the door handle, power window/ lock bezel and door handle bezel.)

If you plan on doing a fair amount of work, get a service manual.....Will save you a lot of headaches.

Much obliged. A service manual is an excellent idea. I have a lot of under-carriage corroded parts needing replacement (but the truck only has 38,000 miles on it). I'll head to the store and find me a "trim tool" and then to jeep for a few new snaps that I know I will break. Thanks

tommyr said:
Be prepared to break a few while removing it

anyone have the part #'s for replacements?

stewie said:
Should be able to find them in the HELP section at any parts store. JIM.

:guitar: 38,000 mile 91 XJ!!!!
Thats Like winning the lotto!:greensmok

stewie said:
These guys have XJ parts you can't get even at a dealer..

http://www.teamcherokee.com/

Good source for fasteners, trim, and parts of all kinds.

Removal of the plastic retainers is pretty easy with a thin forked removal tool. You can get an inexpensive trim removal tool at most Auto parts stores. Saves on breaking even the brittle ones in most cases.

Hahaha...yea 38,000 miles is kinda nice but the truck does have issues. The cruise control doesnt work (picked up a used one) and there is plenty of rust underneath from sitting so long. Trust me, I'll be back here PLENTY of times for your valuable help!

all i did was ask the question. thank Rocketman for the link. and thanks rocketman.

Back