• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating... Headgasket???

menos

NAXJA Forum User
So i've been fighting an overheating issue for a couple of years now. It only rears its ugly head when the temps are 90+. I've already been through the entire cooling system with no help.
Today I tried swapping out the injectors and the oxygen sensor. No joy.
After that I tried shutting down one cylinder at a time to see if I could see any difference. Sure enough. With No. 6 (closest to the firewall) shut down (spark and fuel disconnected) my truck promptly started acting normal. I drove around town in the exact situation that caused it to run warm 15 minutes earlier and the temps never went about 210.

So now my questions. How dangerous is it for the motor to run with no. 6 disconnected? Short term/long term.
What does this indicate? Cracked headgasket around the no. 6? Obstruction in the passages around no. 6? Something else?

I plan on pulling the head in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I get a few days off in a row, since this is my only ride. I've never pulled the head off of a 4.0 so any gotchas?

I'm thinking a leakdown test might be in order. Check for hydrocarbons or bubbles in the coolant. Does the plug on #6 look like its running lean? You could swap the plug and injector to another cylinder and see what happens.

I'm thinking a leakdown test might be in order. Check for hydrocarbons or bubbles in the coolant. Does the plug on #6 look like its running lean? You could swap the plug and injector to another cylinder and see what happens.

I'm gonna try a leakdown test before I pull the head, but one way or another I think I'm gonna have to pull it. Plugs and injectors were swapped (new plugs, swapped injectors between 3 and 6)

Do you have a cat on your xj,if you do the unburnt fuel will destroy the cat,unburnt fuel is the cats biggest enemy.

Unburnt fuel? I've disconnected the injector and the spark plug. With no power the injector shouldn't be opening right?

Back