• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whirring sound/driveline binding

pikey77

NAXJA Forum User
Posted up about this a month or so ago but never found anything out and didn't happen anymore but it did today.

Backing out of garage JEEP just jerked to a stop suddenly. Felt like I hit a tree. Neighbors even asked what I hit.

Nothing was the answer. Pulled foward and nothing. Last suggestion I got was a maybe a front DS ujoint so i pulled the front DS to see if that helped and it doesn't. Still get a whirring sound with slight vibration that started after its latest little binding episode.

Any ideas?

I dunno. Just went and drove around the block again.

I think it might be transmission. Sound goes away when you put JEEP into neutral.

Freakin sucks. I just bought this thing a month ago and its only got 68,000 miles. In fact I bought it because my last cars transmission was going out at 200,000 miles.

What you described happened to me once. Pull off the rear diff cover and check the gears for broken teeth. Driving without the front DS does not matter when you are in 2wd. Good luck.

UPDATE::

Took it to three shops today. 1 said it was the rear diff...he didn't get under the truck just rode around in it for a few minutes.

The other shop and a transmission place said it is the transfer case. They both put a stehtescope to it and both got under the JEEP.

So it looks like i need a new TC.

Anyone know how hard it is to put a new one on?

A couple hours after you do it a few times....:skull2:

Seriously, not too bad. Six bolts to the back of the transmission, pop the linkage apart, driveshafts out (that was all backwards) disconnect the wiring harness for the position indicator and the speedo cable, out she comes. Oh, support the transmission and pull the crossmember to get access. Put a floor jack under the transmission so you can lower it to get to the top bolts. See if you can get a replacement from the same year/engine so the front shaft will fit without messing with counting splines, worrying about the tailshaft length, etc. If you've installed a SYE you'll transfer it to the new case, etc. First time it's a long day. Might want to buy a used case and install a bearing /seal kit in it for a hundred bucks or so, and put a new chain in it so you'll be more trouble free than a straight boneyard unit for a while.

Mark

Back