• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Before I replace my Crankshaft position sensor???

Many long extensions and friend to help guide you is how I did it,it also may help to put some duct tape on your universal you will need so it does not flop around.
it only takes about 30 minutes to lower your trany down to make it easier to get to,something to think about.

Lots of extentions, 11mm or 7/16" socket (I forget which one) and I always recommend dielectric grease on the connector.

As far as tips go:
1) make sure the engine is cool
2) jack up the jeep from the body to get the suspension out of your way
3) lock up any children that may hear your excessive cussing
4) slot one end to make it easier to change next time, do a search for clarity
5) last but not least make sure to not drop a bolt in the bell housing!

I used a couple long extensions on a small rachet. It was awkward, dirty, but doable on a cold engine. Beware that if you are not very careful, you could lose a bolt down into your housing which could entail going somewhere you don't really want to go. Just be very careful.

It may have been Yuccaman, Go Jeep or some other xj guru that recommended that you grind the bottoms of the new cps "ears" which would allow you to remove it and install the next cps that much easier without having to remove the two small bolts. You would just have to loosen them and pull the cps out and replace with the new one (also ground appropriately} and tighten again. No lost bolts or hassle in putting them back in. You just grind out an area beneath each cps hole so that it is just cradled on the housing bolts. Might make more sense when you look at it. Some things get lost in translation.

What I used starting at the upper bolt; A swivel socket filled with axle grease to hold the bolt, a 3 inch extension, an 8 inch 'wobble end' extension, enough LONG extensions to reach in from behind the transfer case, ratchet, finally, good hand cleaner to clean the oil of your arms.

Back