• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild a brake booster

bigalpha

Not sure if this is better in Tech -- I have a 99 booster and an 88 booster. What types of places can swap the push rod for me between the two?

Thanks.

Wait.

I mean the pushrod that goes from the brake pedal to the booster.
I believe that is what he is talking about. I have done this on a master for the clutch when I went from an 84 to 94. It was not screw in though it was held in place with a retaining clip. Moving to tech.

Hmmm, assuming that I am unable to do the swap at home, what types of places rebuild brake boosters?

No because I put the 99 in my 88 and with the 99 pushrod in place, the brake pedal is scratching my nuts.

I need to get the 88 pushrod put in the 99 booster. Or get the brake pedal much, much lower.

Rather than put a different push rod on you can put a spacer between the firewall and the booster. I thought 95+ had these anyway. It could be just 95-97 IIRC but I am not positive. So you can either grab one of those in a junk yard or make a spacer or use washers.

Yeah, there's already a stock spacer in there from the 99. It's like 1/2".

Any thicker, though, and I think you run the risk of having the bolts that hold the booster on not thread enough to hold it securely in the long run.

Back