• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna problems

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So I have my CB antenna mounted on the driverside of my hood and cant seam to get it to work right. Ive tryed calibrating it and still nothing. Im able to transmit just fine and everyone can here me but I cant ever hear them back. What am I doing wrong? Should I move the mounting place, b/c i only put the antenna on when I go wheeling, other wise it stays off. If you guys think I should move it, where should I move it to?

I came across a really good article on here somewhere about CB antennaes. It basically said that the antennae has to be mounted to a large flat surface as that kind of a surface acts as a trampoline for the signal to bounce off of. It also said that the worse place you could ever mount a CB antennae is on a bumper or fender. I am eventually going to move mine to my roof, just in front of the roof rack. Hope someone here can find that link, I will go look for it now as well.

. . . . . . . Also, how good is it when we go through the trouble of getting our antennaes mounted and calibrated, only to have trouble talking to the other trucks who have bumper mounts???

So every time you transmit you can be heard, but you have never received an answer?? If that is so, that you have never received an answer, then it seems like something else might be wrong... if you can transmit you should be able to at least receive an answer from someone sitting like right next to you or pretty close to you...

.... Im able to transmit just fine and everyone can here me but I cant ever hear them back. What am I doing wrong? ......

Do you have the CB controls set correctly ? Most CB have similar buttons and controls. Use to Google to Search for your owners manual or just look at any CB owners manual for explanations of the different controls. What brand name and model of CB do you have ?

Have you tested your CB and Antenna set up by temporarily mounting your CB in another vehicle and putting their CB on your antenna ?

Do you have the CB controls set correctly ? Most CB have similar buttons and controls. Use to Google to Search for your owners manual or just look at any CB owners manual for explanations of the different controls. What brand name and model of CB do you have ?

I have the 19 DX IV Compact CB Radio. Ill google and see what I can find

Have you tested your CB and Antenna set up by temporarily mounting your CB in another vehicle and putting their CB on your antenna ?

I cant pull my CB out b/c the CB is was already in the jeep when I bought it and the people before me wired it into the cigarette litter. It just dosent pug in. Im still trying to figure out how to pull it out.

Right here - http://www.cobra.com/downloads/manuals/19DXIV1.pdf

CB/PA - set to CB
RF Gain - turned all the way to the right or Max
Squelch - turned all the way to the left or Min
Volume - at 1/2

You should at least hear some static or hiss when receiving and you may even hear some far away CBer's. Watch the meter on the front of your CB as your friends transmit, you should see it change.

If you hear nothing, try temporarily installing the microphone from another CB. If the microphone or one of its wires is broken you will not have any reception.

is there ANY sound ?? if not then u have bigger problems it's either in the radio or the mic ??!! have you checked your s.w.r.'s ?? on that radio there is no meter for that !! i don't think ?? try a buddies c.b see if that helps ?? i have my antenna at that location works great !! could be your coxical cable ???

It's possible that it is in the coax but not likely since the radio transmits, make sure the squelch is turned all the way to the left and if you still don't hear anything I would try changing the mike as a broke wire could cause it, also does that radio have a knob on it labeled RF Gain, if it does it should be turned all the way to the right.

Right here - http://www.cobra.com/downloads/manuals/19DXIV1.pdf

CB/PA - set to CB
RF Gain - turned all the way to the right or Max
Squelch - turned all the way to the left or Min
Volume - at 1/2

You should at least hear some static or hiss when receiving and you may even hear some far away CBer's. Watch the meter on the front of your CB as your friends transmit, you should see it change.

If you hear nothing, try temporarily installing the microphone from another CB. If the microphone or one of its wires is broken you will not have any reception.

Thanks for the info. Ill try the mic. Ill barrow my brothers the next time I see him

is there ANY sound ?? if not then u have bigger problems it's either in the radio or the mic ??!! have you checked your s.w.r.'s ?? on that radio there is no meter for that !! i don't think ?? try a buddies c.b see if that helps ?? i have my antenna at that location works great !! could be your coxical cable ???

No theres no sound. I have checkcked my SWR. The best i can get it is 1.7. Im having a buddy come over Wed and hes going to mess around with it for me and see if we can talk to eachother.

It's possible that it is in the coax but not likely since the radio transmits, make sure the squelch is turned all the way to the left and if you still don't hear anything I would try changing the mike as a broke wire could cause it, also does that radio have a knob on it labeled RF Gain, if it does it should be turned all the way to the right.

My bother hase a extra coax cable to ill barrow that and see if thats the problem. The CB does not have a know lableled RF Gain. The CB only has volume, squelch and the buttons to change the channels. Nothing else

if theres no sound then it's the radio !? maybe the mic ?? ????? i have 2 cobra's that SAME way took 2 cb guy he was'nt to for sure what caused it????

If there is NO sound be sure the RF gain is all the way "open" and the squelch is all the way "open" also.

Turn the volume up? :p

On a serious note though - whatever the issue is, it isn't your antenna/cable system. That stuff is all passive and will have the same gain while receiving as it will while transmitting unless you specifically installed an isolator or circulator + dummy load; you probably have an electrical issue with the preamp section of your radio or have one of your settings wrong. You may have antenna issues but they are not the cause of this particular problem. Good luck!

No theres no sound. I have checkcked my SWR. The best i can get it is 1.7.

SWR is acceptable. No changes needed for the antenna and coax.

No sound at all points to a microphone or microphone wire/connector problem. Not all Cobra CB mics are exactly the same so you may have to try a few.

Replacement mics are available from Cobra, most CB shops and from truck stops. Be sure and read the list of radios the mic fits, just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is wired properly.

Back