• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeepspeed News

Jeepspeedchief

NAXJA Forum User
3rd Round 2009 ATK Engines Jeepspeed Challenge.

July 18th Barstow, California.

Mojave Desert Racing Enthusiasts (M.O.R.E.) Freedom 250 Night race.

Blistering heat welcomed the 22 entries in the Mojave High Desert for the 3rd round of 2009 Jeepspeed Challenge sponsored by ATK Engines. Contingency and tech inspection was held in the parking lot of the huge Barstow Tanger Outlet Shopping Mall from 5 pm till 9 pm Friday night. The usual front runners were in attendance plus some new shows for the 2009 season. Rex Lair was back with his lightweight 4 cylinder Cherokee complete with a petite 80 pound blond co-pilot!. The Vernak Team showed with their updated Cherokee and a new Boertje crew with their recently purchased ex-Ganzer rig. Major interest was created by the new Tom Barnett street legal Jeepspeed Cherokee Kit Car. This is a joint venture by Clive Skilton, Jeepspeeed and T&J OffRoad to market Jeepspeed Kits from $10,000. This good looking prototype was complete with interior trim, luxury air conditioning and everything you need as a daily driver but with full Jeepspeed suspension, roll cage, race seats, etc. Tom said his goal was just to finish this first race to show what a skilled guy could build in his home garage.

Daytime Saturday most teams spent the day, tuning, testing, and pre-running. Jeepspeed held an impromtu car owners meeting at noon to discuss the plans for 2010.

The folks from MORE were very efficient and 4 lap race on the Barstow "track from hell " started on time at 6 pm with a temp reading of 112 degrees in the shade. The teams of Grimes and Scholte never made it to the start line for unknown reasons. At about 6.20 pm the first of 20 Jeeps to take the green flag were Vernak, Heiden, Griffith and Wacker. These four teams were to lead the entire race all night, but more on that later.

Early casualties were Lair, Hicks, Layton, West (rolled),Boertje and Jeffus while Ray Griffith moved into the lead spot. Halfway into the four lap race it was Griffith and Heiden followed by Malburg's Wrangler, Standage Cherokee then Wacker and Vernak trading places, all this on corrected time. Also running well were rookie Stobaugh, Heynen, Helgeson, Cope, Hicks and the kit car of Barnett.

When darkness fell the temp dropped to 97 degrees until the finish. Ray Griffith was the very first vehicle to cross the finish line after 4 laps in four hours flat on the brutal well used Barstow course averaging 34.5 mph. Ray finished ahead of the Trophy Trucks and Class 1 entries who did 6 laps and he did not stop to re-fuel of change a tire. A testament to Ray Griffith's outstanding driving talent was shown once again with his race car looking showroom ready when it arrived in the winners circle. Eric Heiden was comfortably second home 22 mins later but third place was to be a nail biter. Michael Vernak was the third Jeepspeed race car to cross the finish line but Chris Wacker was on his tail after starting 60 seconds back. When the dust settled the official results showed Wacker in 4th place by less than 15 seconds. Eric Helgeson was a very credible 5th after a night of problems followed by Malburg 6th, Standage 7th, Barnett's kit car a surprising 8th, Cad Hummer 9th, Cope 10th. Commendations go to Kelsey 11th and Stobaugh 12th for really hanging in there to make it to the finish in over 7 hours. We are sure they both have interseting stories to tell.

Next Jeepspeed points race Lucerne Valley, Ca. Sept 12th.

Jeepspeed

...Major interest was created by the new Tom Barnett street legal Jeepspeed Cherokee Kit Car. This is a joint venture by Clive Skilton, Jeepspeeed and T&J OffRoad to market Jeepspeed Kits from $10,000. This good looking prototype was complete with interior trim, luxury air conditioning and everything you need as a daily driver but with full Jeepspeed suspension, roll cage, race seats, etc. Tom said his goal was just to finish this first race to show what a skilled guy could build in his home garage....

I know at one time I saw a webpage for this $10k kit, but can't seem to find it...can anyone post a link?

Barnett Performance Products Chevy V - 8 Conversion Motor Mounts...not quite what I was looking for.
I have already surfed thru all T&J's website, can't find it. Either its gone or I'm a DA...

sorry you had to suffer through a site i designed. its kinda easy to find....
go to our website tandjperformance.com
click on Offroad Suspension & Performance
Click on Products
click on jeepspeed

but i did all that hard digging around for you: CLICK HERE

thanks guys. I dunno how I couldnt find it thru google, NAXJA search, or manual surfing the T&J page. I swear I when I clicked Jeepspeed (1) earlier, it was bringing me to the page with 2 cages. Well, I'm not getting the whole kit, but I'll be buying some suspension goodies :)

Last edited:
Back